Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

One Army Again.....

We had exactly the same issue, the SPSI was tasked to be the BSM (as well as the SPSI) instead of a TA counterpart, the reasoning for this was due to suitability of current TA qualified people, he held the post till a suitable TA soldier was identified and qualified.

Hmmm... Disgruntled SNCOs? If any of them are considering voting with their feet, could they PM me, please. I know of a unit that has vacancies for trained personnel, and can re-gruntle them.

I know of the opposite happening, where, for a reason that is unknown to me, the post of a PSI could not be filled. It was offered to the CSM, who was TA, but an ex regular (although I don't seem to recall him reaching the rank of WO2 in the regs), did an admirable job, andhas now whisked himself off to one of our Regular Bn's. Sadly he left without a suitable candidate to fill the post, and the Coy is left without a CSM - step forward the SPSI!

VVV - There will be some reason for this that they're not telling, it may only be a stop gap. Maybe it was boarded, but you weren't aware of any of the candidates? Is there any thrusting young CSjt's/WO2's posted out (RTC?) that are due back to the unit in the near future?

It's not a TA whinging thread (anyway this was posting in the TA thread so whinging is a perogative), its asking the serious question whether this is appropriate? In answer to some of the questions:

1) Yes he holds both roles.
2) No the post was not boarded or published.
3) No there are no soon to return SNCOs from RTCs but there are spare WO2s and SNCOs from other units available.

The concerning issue is how this will influence up and coming JNCO and SNCOs - what can they aspire to if the top NCO post in the Coy is a Regular? I'm not disputing the guys abilty or lack of, I would dispute his willingness to engage or be bothered about the development of the JNCOs. He'll be gone in 2 years and doesn't know them from adam.

No idea if there are disgruntled SNCOs I'm afraid!

ViVictaVis said:
It's not a TA whinging thread (anyway this was posting in the TA thread so whinging is a perogative), its asking the serious question whether this is appropriate? In answer to some of the questions:

1) Yes he holds both roles.
2) No the post was not boarded or published.
3) No there are no soon to return SNCOs from RTCs but there are spare WO2s and SNCOs from other units available.

The concerning issue is how this will influence up and coming JNCO and SNCOs - what can they aspire to if the top NCO post in the Coy is a Regular? I'm not disputing the guys abilty or lack of, I would dispute his willingness to engage or be bothered about the development of the JNCOs. He'll be gone in 2 years and doesn't know them from adam.

No idea if there are disgruntled SNCOs I'm afraid!

My bold - 2 years is long enough to get know the NCOs and to help in their development, short-term and longer-term after he's posted elsewhere. From my experience, the TA and Regular CSMs who i've served under spent the time getting to know the blokes as they knew it would be remiss not to for professional and personal reasons. What reason(s) do you have to think that he would not be the same?

Additionally, you don't state whether this is a temporary measure or not - for a short time (stop-gap) or period you'd class for a posting. Maybe when his time's up his successor will be a TA SNCO.

how this will influence up and coming JNCO and SNCOs

Maybe spark them to get their act together and perhaps realise that the post of CSM goes to the best person available and not whoever's turn it is next

Sorry if that sounds snappy but this sounds like a one off measure rather than a policy, as stated we had the same issue and once a suitable candidate was identified he took over

Wellyhead, thats my question! Seeing as he has been confirmed for his tour it doesn't sound like a stopgap, does it herald something new given that there are TA staff who are qualified, competant, senior, not s***, and that the role wasn't boarded beforehand?

Ask your unit. The fact you don't know would imply your headshed feel you don't need to know. You probably know this already but the headshed don't need to justify their decisions to every bloke in the Battalion - decisions aren't made by a Chinese parliament! If it's that big an issue to you and the NCOs, raise it at your next Mess meeting.

ViVictaVis said:
Wellyhead, thats my question! Seeing as he has been confirmed for his tour it doesn't sound like a stopgap, does it herald something new given that there are TA staff who are qualified, competant, senior, not s***, and that the role wasn't boarded beforehand?

By whose measure - yours, theirs or the COs?

Without knowing the individuals, it is impossible for anyone on here to give the answer, but I doubt that any CO of a TA unit would opt for a regular SNCO filling a TA post without very good reason.

There are a number of reasons for this occurring, the one I very much doubt is a change in policy, I can't answer for the actions in your company but I feel there is a bigger picture missing here that may be way above your pay grade (don't take that as an insult just a statement of army life). Your version of competent may not be the say as someone else's.

This is one option, that could be a little disturbing, is that this has happened because the WO2 in question needs a post as CSM to keep his career on track, this could of been a provision on him coming to you Company, don't forget that this could be a 2 year mark time for him and may have a time/age bar on him for WO1, remember this is his full time career.

However I would point out that that is a little bit out of order in the scheme of things if true however this is an everyday occurrence in the regs as qualified decent guys are passed over for slots due to decisions at MCM. The question may be less whats the regs doing here but rather whats the TA doing about it, if someone has been passed over in such a way I would put money on a crap-ish CR rather than a conspiracy

Gluck_ab said:
Ask your unit. The fact you don't know would imply your headshed feel you don't need to know. You probably know this already but the headshed don't need to justify their decisions to every bloke in the Battalion - decisions aren't made by a Chinese parliament! If it's that big an issue to you and the NCOs, raise it at your next Mess meeting.

and get your CSM to raise the issue that you have blokes better qualified than the PSI to do the job. Oh, hang on.... 8O

It's been done before, IIRC all the CSMs in XV para were replaced by the SPSIs. It had plus points as well as negatives.

As has been said it's the CO's train set so you might want to ask your OC for some clarification on the aim.

putteesinmyhands said:
Gluck_ab said:

and get your CSM to raise the issue that you have blokes better qualified than the PSI to do the job. Oh, hang on.... 8O

My bold - 'better qualified than....'or equally qualified? The distinction is important.

Get the subject recorded in the Minutes - then at least you have a record of the fact.