One and a half month puppy German Shepherd, Where can i find in depth training guides

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by Thetemple, Apr 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]As the title states I'm the owner of a German Shepherd puppy. I want to train him early as I possibly can and to do that I need a regimented guide to it.

The dog is going to be massive but for now it's a little nipper (see attatched picture). I am looking for tips that teach the most discipline a dog can learn. But I also want the dog to always feel loved and at home.

Thank you in advance for your time and please refer me to any books e or otherwise that i can read to gain the knowledge I'm looking for.
  2. Try the Arrse dog-owners thread.
  3. Should it not still be with its mother at that age?
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

12 weeks is fine, usually they go at 8 weeks but be aware that the pup will learn through play and wont need much at first, little and often and reward with praise and affection!
  5. Lots of experienced dog handlers in the Arrse Kennel Club suggest you post in there
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Dog training for blondes/dummies, basic dog training by Eric Begbie, an excellent set of simple lessons for any dog let alone a gun dog.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thetemple:

God almighty, what made you buy a 6 week old puppy, obviously you did not get him from a reputable breeder!! I doubt he has been inoculated as it is NOT usual to inoculate until 8 weeks at the earliest as the injections can cause problems if given earlier. Then there is the need for a booster injection a couple of weeks later so that your puppy is protected against common illnesses and in particular against parvo virus which is a killer. Add to that has the puppy had a health check and been checked for Hip Dysplasia, Epilepsy, CDRM, Haemophilia A, and Pancreatic Insufficiency? Hopefully you have NOT taken the little one out in the woods or fields around you if he has not been vaccinated. My sincerest advice is to get him checked over by a vet and inoculated sooner rather than later, plus get him micro-chipped so if your lose him he can be returned, then think about training. His health comes first – you cannot train a dead dog.
    • Like Like x 7
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sorry I cant do sums. 6 weeks is too early!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. What a pity you didn't think of gaining a bit of knowledge before acquiring this very young puppy. I can only hope you got him from someone known to you who had a litter of pups, and not from a dodgy pet shop. You would do well to take Emsav's advice.

Lecture over - good luck with him.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. My point exactly.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Still the pup should at least have a chance away from a crap breeder!
  12. With a potentially clueless new owner?
  13. Who is asking questions and wants to learn. Were you born with dog owning skills?
  14. No I wasn't but I would do my research BEFORE buying an underage dog.