Once upon a time, this country knew how to behave

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Nibbler, Oct 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this both humbling and inspiring..

Hungarian Letter

An interesting contrast with the Islamic reaction to being allowed to benefit from our culture...

And a stark reminder, as Georgia is pressured, of just how 'peace-loving' our ex-Soviet 'friends' are, and always will be...
  2. Wonderful and inspiring letter and reminder of a marvellous gesture.

Just shows it's good to be generous to a fault, even if we're unsure of the returns. Clearly here we see a group of people from a far away place forever recalling their experiences to successive generations.

Reminds me we as a nation need to continue to be generous and not always counting the cost, or demanding 'our cut'.
  3. I reckon we should swap a few more thousands of these people for the same number of Muslims . Far more grateful and worthwhile
  4. Oh FFS

A letter from some grateful Hungarians and someone uses it to stir hatred against our muslim popul\ation.

What have the Hungarians who express gratitude over our treatment of their refugees post 1956 got to do with the British Muslim population? It is true its a reminder of times when we were generous to asylem seekers rather than trying to kick them out.

Did we offer refugee status to the Pakistanis - or import them as cheap skilled labour for the textile industry? The relationship between Britian and Pakistan is closer ot that of Russia and Hungary rather than Britian and Hungary. ;)

Where favours are concerned we probably owe them to the Indians of all religion whose ancestors fought for Britian in two world wars. 161,000+ war dead from the largest volunteer army of all time. No pensions except for the dozens of VC winners.
  5. I'm sure my grandfather must have been a Hungarian immigrant. Never met him though, mother was adopted, but I know he was Hungarian and by the dates (well, year my mother was born) it seems about right. Does that mean he hated the Commies and was fighting them?
  6. Nope - you're choosing to over-react to an observation. There are significant cultural differences in the way in which two sets of refugees regarded their opportunity to take part in the British 'way of life'. These Hungarians were no doubt subject to a range of petty snobberies and humiliations (Britain in those days was a far more insular/snobbish/stratified nation than it is now), but were able to look beyond this, and focus on the chance to make something of their lives.

Many muslims do the same - but one might reasonably ask why such a vocal and intolerant minority do not. As I said - an interesting contrast, that might merit some thought, as opposed to assuming a knee jerk posture over.
  7. Had the Hungarians arrived here then plotted to kill and maim and abuse our hospitality then I'm sure they would not have been made to feel so welcome. The difference here is that the Hungarians integrated and obviously have a strong sense of gratitude towards those who offered them opportunites they would not have otherwise had.

The Islamic colonies (A far more accurate a description than "Communities") in this country would do well to follow their example.

Those fleeing genuine persecution should always have refuge here, those who lie and cheat and threaten us should be expelled.
  8. Simply invite freedom-loving Georgians to the UK. If freedom-loving Albanians enjoy British hospitality then the Georgians would enjoy too.
  9. Got to hand it to the Hungarians on another count- when they find out that they are being led by a bunch of lying b@stards, they're not afraid to kick off.
  10. Yes, but it would be nice to have a debate without a mention of the M word, just for the sake of a breather.

Re social heirarchy - We overplay our class system, possibly the result of successful propaganda. The so called working classes in this country were often never a poor relation in their own eyes to the extent we portray them now. I think we need to revise to some degree our perceptions, especially when you look at the social motivation of various groups, who clearly made their voice known without fear. Many French writers talk about when the visited Britain in the 18th Century they marvelled at how 'M'Lords' mixed with the 'ordinary' folk in the Taverns, compared to their own society which was indeed snobbish.
  11. Obviously there are problems between Georgia and Russia, however, part of the problem has to be caused by Russia's concern at continuing NATO expansion.
  12. No doubt it is: but either Russia is now a peace-loving member of the international community that seeks dialogue and co-operation, or it's a country that will continue to use a range of methods to meddle in the internal affairs of foreign countries. Can't have it both ways... If, as Sergey has said elsewhere, Georgia is 'small and unimportant', then there's no need to intefere in it's decisions...
  13. Of course you can have it both ways. Isn't it called international diplomacy in political circles?

14. Hah! - you're right of course...

Yes - or hypocrisy amongst 'normal' people...

15. If it helps with your guilt at all, my favourite WW2 statistic is that Britain ended up owing the Indian/Pakistan governments £2000 million pounds sterling in 1945 money - around 100 billion pounds today - as payment for the material and indigenous manpower that we used to help defend their country from the Japanese. This sum was paid in full although Britain was essentially bankrupt.

Well, that was nice of us wasn’t it?

The financially crippling legacy of the privilege of defending India, a country that we knew we would be handing over after the war, does not include the material and manpower costs that the British incurred at Singapore, a garrison maintained solely to defend India's Eastern flank.