Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Once upon a time...Chancellor Alistair Darling and his Taxes

Galileo82

Old Salt
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7291841.stm

What an absolute joke! More fiction than Harry Potter! I am spitting blood!The only good thing to come out of this is...

"Mr Darling said an extra £2bn will be spent on troops in the frontline, including £900m on military equipment."

which is years overdue anyway!

Smokes up, beer up, petrol up, spirits up...what is he playing at!

Is it just me?

If he wasn't wasting £26 million to make 'homes greener ' then things like fuel etc wouldn't have to go up as much. Although, he is not raising the price of fuel by 2p until October...what a great guy!

Why base the majority of the budget on climate change, the climate hasn't changed in 10 years! The government are only jumping on green because its a way to increase taxes!

All smoke and mirrors. I notice most of the things mentioned either are planned for next year or 2010 when they won't be in power anyway. A lame duck budget by a lame duck chancellor.

Galileo82 said:
The government are only jumping on green because its a way to increase taxes!

You'd like to think not but I cannot help agreeing. I am mostly living in Denmark these days. My tax rate is 50% of gross and I am not a high earner. But at least you feel you are getting something for your money here and stealth taxes are (almost) non-existent. Still, fags are only £3 a packet. Pehaps 50% would come down some if we had UK prices. Then again I'm a smoker so I'm pretty much screwed either way.

Head of the CBI has just said that we are in a better position economically compared with most of the rest of the world. We will continue to grow (albeit modestly) through the current situation.

He also said . . . .
"They have made a useful first step to get over [the cock up of last autumn]"

Galileo82 said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7291841.stm

What an absolute joke! More fiction than Harry Potter! I am spitting blood!The only good thing to come out of this is...

"Mr Darling said an extra £2bn will be spent on troops in the frontline, including £900m on military equipment."

which is years overdue anyway!

Smokes up, beer up, petrol up, spirits up...what is he playing at!

Is it just me?

Not so fast. As a result of the recent Comprehensive Spending Review (CSR), the MoD is being forced to make “annual net cash-releasing savings” (cuts) of £2.7 billion by 2010-11. It will also have to absorb 50% of the cost of Urgent Operational Requirements (UORs) above a yet-to-be-agreed figure, albeit with payment deferred until 2010-11 when the Treasury has promised a paltry £200m bung (bearing in mind that Britain now looks set to spend around £1.6 billion in Iraq for the current financial year and £1.7 billion more in Afghanistan).

As usual, it's all smoke and mirrors.

Gentlemen

Surely you can all work out the budget for this and all following years;

Fags up in tax to stop smokers smoking

Alcohol up to safeguard drinkers health

Fuel up to save the enviroment, so that China can carry on

Taxes up, because we can,

All these WEF now :pissedoff:

1p back on taxes

6p on pensions for over 95s

Sundry pennies off obscure taxes, vole catcher's nets spring to mind.

All these WEF April 2010. :pissedoff: :pissedoff: :pissedoff: :roll: :roll:

Yes, 14p a bottle on Chateau du Chasselay '97 will definitely stop the binge drinking teens in their tracks...they do make quite a nuisance of themselves, lounging around on street corners, in smoking jackets and pillbox hats, with their Cohibas puffing away discussing Proust...

OFFS Darling, you are just pinging the middle classes...again! Why not be fecking honest about it. In 12 months time if there has been a substantial improvement in service MQs, hospitals or schools then fine I might have been wrong. However...

shagnasty said:
....Taxis? Hic! Never have a problem getting one. Hic!
Those stealth taxis are the best though. You don't even realise your money has gone until you reach for your wallet to pay for your lift home......