Once open drink within 2 days...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Narcissus, Mar 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok looking a bottle of Pinot G that I opened about a month ago and it says on the back Once open drink within 2 days, how imporant is this? I feel a bit bad about pooring wine down the sink!

2. Pour it down your neck then!

3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I work on the safe theory that a bottle, once opened, will be consumed within 2 hours, so the issue of "shelf life" never arises.

4. Couldn't agree more and can personally recommend this course of action :thumright:

5. Its wine, so it shud be ok for half a year as long as the cork has been in. Enjoy!

6. Get it doon yer neck

7. Well in normal situations I would apply this rule of thumb but it was opened when the misses was around which means:

1 1/2 glasses of wine + Nurse girlfriend = Only drinking being done was from the furry cup :thumleft:

8. I rarely read wine unless looking for instructions on how to take the stains out. And I usually can't read them anyway as the bottle tends to shake too much.

9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Serving Suggestion: take bottle with you to bed / garden shed / kitchen table. Have occasional swig to wash away the taste of Nursie. I have found that a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is particularly good to accompany Nursie, but it must be kept chilled.

10. You have to drink champers within 2 hrs of opening, i have never let one go flat!! :drunken:

11. The wine like company should be well chilled.

12. Soo... how did it taste? (The wine I mean, not the nurse)

If it's been open a month it should have tasted like vinegar, looked like vinegar and perhaps been slightly fizzy. mmmm.

13. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. After half a year this wine will be vinegar. The only way to preserve the life of wine after opening is to use a vacuum pump and seal - then keep in the fridge. This way it will keep for up to a week - but no longer! In fact, wine starts to deteriorate extremely quickly as soon as the cork is pulled - many young and fruity whites will lose their initial freshness and bouquet after only 30mins of opening. However, older reds from a decent vintage should be opened and carefully decanted an hour or so before drinking to allow them to "open up". They too, unfortunately, will deteriorate quickly after that.

I have never come across this problem before - the cork never goes back in a bottle in my house. You are clearly: a) a girl. b)homosexual.

14. If it tastes of vinegar, you're not drinking it quick enough!

15. I have a vacuum pump, does this mean my c0ck is going to stay fresh?