Once open drink within 2 days...

Ok looking a bottle of Pinot G that I opened about a month ago and it says on the back Once open drink within 2 days, how imporant is this? I feel a bit bad about pooring wine down the sink!

linemanloz said:
Ok looking a bottle of Pinot G that I opened about a month ago and it says on the back Once open drink within 2 days, how imporant is this? I feel a bit bad about pooring wine down the sink!
Pour it down your neck then!

blue_sophist said:
I work on the safe theory that a bottle, once opened, will be consumed within 2 hours, so the issue of "shelf life" never arises.
Couldn't agree more and can personally recommend this course of action :thumright:

Its wine, so it shud be ok for half a year as long as the cork has been in. Enjoy!

blue_sophist said:
I work on the safe theory that a bottle, once opened, will be consumed within 2 hours, so the issue of "shelf life" never arises.
Well in normal situations I would apply this rule of thumb but it was opened when the misses was around which means:

1 1/2 glasses of wine + Nurse girlfriend = Only drinking being done was from the furry cup :thumleft:

linemanloz said:
I rarely read wine unless looking for instructions on how to take the stains out. And I usually can't read them anyway as the bottle tends to shake too much.

linemanloz said:
blue_sophist said:
Well in normal situations I would apply this rule of thumb but it was opened when the misses was around which means:
1 1/2 glasses of wine + Nurse girlfriend = Only drinking being done was from the furry cup :thumleft:
Serving Suggestion: take bottle with you to bed / garden shed / kitchen table. Have occasional swig to wash away the taste of Nursie. I have found that a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is particularly good to accompany Nursie, but it must be kept chilled.

linemanloz said:
You have to drink champers within 2 hrs of opening, i have never let one go flat!! :drunken:

The wine like company should be well chilled.

Soo... how did it taste? (The wine I mean, not the nurse)

If it's been open a month it should have tasted like vinegar, looked like vinegar and perhaps been slightly fizzy. mmmm.

duckiciao said:
Its wine, so it shud be ok for half a year as long as the cork has been in. Enjoy!
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. After half a year this wine will be vinegar. The only way to preserve the life of wine after opening is to use a vacuum pump and seal - then keep in the fridge. This way it will keep for up to a week - but no longer! In fact, wine starts to deteriorate extremely quickly as soon as the cork is pulled - many young and fruity whites will lose their initial freshness and bouquet after only 30mins of opening. However, older reds from a decent vintage should be opened and carefully decanted an hour or so before drinking to allow them to "open up". They too, unfortunately, will deteriorate quickly after that.

I have never come across this problem before - the cork never goes back in a bottle in my house. You are clearly: a) a girl. b)homosexual.

If it tastes of vinegar, you're not drinking it quick enough!

Clausewitz said:
duckiciao said:
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. After half a year this wine will be vinegar. The only way to preserve the life of wine after opening is to use a vacuum pump and seal - then keep in the fridge. This way it will keep for up to a week - but no longer! In fact, wine starts to deteriorate extremely quickly as soon as the cork is pulled - many young and fruity whites will lose their initial freshness and bouquet after only 30mins of opening. However, older reds from a decent vintage should be opened and carefully decanted an hour or so before drinking to allow them to "open up". They too, unfortunately, will deteriorate quickly after that.

I have never come across this problem before - the cork never goes back in a bottle in my house. You are clearly: a) a girl. b)homosexual.
I have a vacuum pump, does this mean my c0ck is going to stay fresh?

blue_sophist said:
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :thumleft: :thumleft: