once ive joined can i change job roles whilst serving?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by ToddyMUFC, Oct 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. my recruitment officer told me i had a right of transfer but upto to now all i've heard of my brothers mates who are serving ive heard different stories that u have to wait upto 6 months or longer i want to join the royal engineers as a carpenter and joiner am already qualified as a level 2 joiner also my recruitment officer told me to take all my qualifacations with me and talk to my co straight away can someone please give me advice its just ive had to give my notice in to work and am going to be jobless if i dont join cheers :D

2. at the moment am joining as a postal and courier operator in the rlc but i dont really want to do that but i havent signed any documentation or my contract

3. You can transfer yes. however, alot of regiments and trades are close too full manning now, my advice would be to speak to your troopy in phase 1 and get the ball rolling from there, failing that speak to your RCMO when you get to your regiment and put a transfer in with him.

4. cheers ive spoke to my recruitement officer and am goin to go through my job options ive wrote a list of jobs which intrest me and i can use when i decide to leave the army luckly enough my employer has let me withdraw my notice so just incase i can go back to college and do my level 3 qualifaction in joinery what job role do u have in the rlc?

5. cheers ive spoke to my recruitement officer and am goin to go through my job options ive wrote a list of jobs which intrest me and i can use when i decide to leave the army luckly enough my employer has let me withdraw my notice so just incase i can go back to college and do my level 3 qualifaction in joinery what job role do u have in the rlc?

6. Good man, If you really wanna be a chippy then its worth the wait to get too it, would hate for you to be stuck in a job choice that you dont really want.

As for me, my job role can only be described as a goafer. Go for this, go for that. Driver by trade mate, avoid at all cost, unless you have comspec at the end of your job title. ( radio operater)

7. the recruitment officer said the same best of waiting and going back to college my m8ts a driver in the engineers i have quite alot of freinds who are in the army and they love it i wanted join when i was 16 but i had a rough time at secondary school so i didnt get the grades i wanted so i went to college and put my head down i have c's in maths and english now and am a level 2 qualifed joiner aswell as ict systems technician.
    i've been told its a good life if you can accept the difficulties what lie ahead well good luck with youre career thanks for the info :D

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

If it's anything like transferring trades in the RAF,you can only transfer up paybands,thus trades.

9. Why can you not join as a chippy???