Once again: Argentina reaffirms Falklands sovereignty

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Radical_Dreamer, Apr 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18692110-5001028,00.html

Done and done in the past, but it's the 24th today. Would we possibly have to take the Falklands back before the 25th?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Face it - if they did go for it, we would be in the pooh. We couldn't take them back by force nowadays.

3. This has already been done a couple of months ago. Can't find the link cos I'm a wee bit busy. Think the concensus was that they couldn't take the islands back easily now as there is a far more potent force there than previously. We also still have our submarine threat. Perhaps the US would help out as well as we've helped them so much recently (just off to open my back door to let the flying pig out, brb)

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

What potent force? Slack handful of fast air, 1500 REMFs and a Coy+ of Inf with the rest of the mil unavailable 'cause we are commited elsewhere? Wish I could be so confident.....

5. The fast air is quite a potent force even if it is a bit too windy/cloudy/late/early for them to fly. The state of the argentine airforce and army is worse than 24 years ago. Also any threat of escalation and we'll post a sub, possibly two down there, enough to frighten off what's left of their navy hopefully. Basically I reckon there's "enough" of a deterrent, or one that could be quickly flown/shipped in that the argies would think twice.

6. Anyway, he did say the strategy to regain them was to be pursued through a "dialogue, diplomatically and in peace".

7. Perhaps the Argie president is considering a sizeable 'loan' to the Labour Party coffers in the hope that he can exchange the resultant offered Peerage for the Falklands Islands. And you know what? I wouldn't put it past Tone to accept.

I have NO doubt that our Armed Forces would be perfectly able to repel any invaders to the Islands, the difficulty would lie in getting the offical go-ahead surely?

(Edited an hour after original posting to correct MAJOR window-licking typing error: intended word added in bold :oops: )

8. If any a time for a royal proclamation..

9. haven't we got a large military presence in Mount Pleasant Airbase ?

10. Not to forget the FIDF with gucci steyr augs and green quad bikes!

11. Well its not as if Uncle Sam gae us the latest AIM missiles, or intelligence, or offered the loan of an aircraft carrier or anything during the war, is it?...

12. are they any good ? did they perform well the last time round in 1982 ?

13. don't forget the AWACS ;)

14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

15. Don't worry we have the mighty Sea Harrier don't we ?