On y va, on y va, on y va.........

Just spotted this on BBC

France to station forces in Gulf

France and the United Arab Emirates have signed an agreement allowing France to set up a permanent military base in the Gulf.

The UAE and France have military co-operation agreements, but the base will be France's first in the Gulf.

The deal allows for the stationing of up to 500 permanent military personnel.

The two countries also signed a deal on the development of nuclear energy during a visit to the UAE by French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

The deal on nuclear energy is the latest in a series of similar agreements between France and Arab countries.
Any idea why?

fairmaidofperth said:
Just spotted this on BBC

France to station forces in Gulf

France and the United Arab Emirates have signed an agreement allowing France to set up a permanent military base in the Gulf.

The UAE and France have military co-operation agreements, but the base will be France's first in the Gulf.

The deal allows for the stationing of up to 500 permanent military personnel.

The two countries also signed a deal on the development of nuclear energy during a visit to the UAE by French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

The deal on nuclear energy is the latest in a series of similar agreements between France and Arab countries.
Any idea why?
All the quicker to get into Iran as they missed the last show being cheese eating surrender monkeys!

Well I understand they have quite a presence in AFG, so an independent FOB would be useful... :wink:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Does France want to develope nuclear power in the ME? I'm sure I read somewhere that they had high hopes, being an independent nuclear power and all.

So that they can easily flog them nuclear weapons ... never quite trusted the les crapauds - especially after the Falklands

Take a look at the UAE's defence equipment fleet and then ask why France would station troops there?

oldbaldy

LE
Cuddles said:
Take a look at the UAE's defence equipment fleet and then ask why France would station troops there?
Plus:

They only go where they can sell things after others have sorted out the cr@p.

They did tell GWB to get fcuked, rather than just follow him blindly though. Perhaps they are not as stupid as others look.

Why? Well I believe the answer is in the Quote:

Hasn't France built Nuclear Power Stations before in the Middle East?
I bet they get the contract for the UK's too!!

They are also sniffing around Iran... well someone has to sell 'em Nuclear.. and why not 'La France' ... Cnuts!

never forgave 'em for exporting Exocets and the technolegy to Argentina....

Biped said:
Does France want to develope nuclear power in the ME? I'm sure I read somewhere that they had high hopes, being an independent nuclear power and all.
Didn't France sign up to build a reactor in Libya last year? Sarkozy is already keen on building up a Med Union, looks like he's extending the boundaries further.

Fanbasher said:
So that they can easily flog them nuclear weapons ... never quite trusted the les crapauds - especially after the Falklands
I think it was Argentina that invaded the FI. Or, is there something I'm missing here? :D

As for why the French would want a presence in the region. Possibly to do with their expertise in building Nuclear Facilities of the Power Generation type. Far be it from me to suggest that European countries would look to extract as many dollars as possible from the region.

A la perchoine. :D

ABrighter2006 said:
Fanbasher said:
I think it was Argentina that invaded the FI. Or, is there something I'm missing here? :D

As for why the French would want a presence in the region. Possibly to do with their expertise in building Nuclear Facilities of the Power Generation type. Far be it from me to suggest that European countries would look to extract as many dollars as possible from the region.

I think that may refer to the sale of Exocets- Super Etendard or something...
Edited to add- There is a great real-life spy tale about two Brits who posed as buyers to keep the missiles off the open market until the end of the war. I saw a docu about it many years ago, very clever sting.

Cheers 762 - "crapauds" being the less than affectionate term for residents of Jersey - was thinking of offshore CI companies involved in arms supply to dodgy governments. Not that it's ever happened before you understand! Fanbasher I now realise was referring to crapauds in the wider "French" sense. Apologies Fanbasher.

762baynet said:
ABrighter2006 said:
Fanbasher said:

Edited to add- There is a great real-life spy tale about two Brits who posed as buyers to keep the missiles off the open market until the end of the war. I saw a docu about it many years ago, very clever sting.
IIRC they also allowed our pilots to 'play' with the Super Etendards so that our guys knew what they would be up against.

Trackpen said:
762baynet said:
ABrighter2006 said:
Fanbasher said:

IIRC they also allowed our pilots to 'play' with the Super Etendards so that our guys knew what they would be up against.
THe story I heard (and it was a while ago) was that 2 blokes posed a buyers with loads of money, representing a responsible govt. The lure of the cash and gradual, but drawn out, closing of the deal led SE to hold off selling to the Argies thinking that they were in for a big payday. As the conflict concluded the 'buyers' vanished and SE had no sale... to anyone.

The French, were (2004), providing patrols for the outskirts of Kabul. Bare in mind, the Brits were not in Helmand etc and they were carrying out Kabul Patrol Company duties.
We got know the French quite well and they were not too bad. Would go on patrol in VMBC's (?) Armoured Trucks and had women as Inf Soldiers as well.

Latest Threads