On y va, on y va, on y va.........

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fairmaidofperth, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just spotted this on BBC

Any idea why?
  2. All the quicker to get into Iran as they missed the last show being cheese eating surrender monkeys!
  3. Because it's safe?

4. Well I understand they have quite a presence in AFG, so an independent FOB would be useful... :wink:
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Does France want to develope nuclear power in the ME? I'm sure I read somewhere that they had high hopes, being an independent nuclear power and all.
  6. So that they can easily flog them nuclear weapons ... never quite trusted the les crapauds - especially after the Falklands
  7. Take a look at the UAE's defence equipment fleet and then ask why France would station troops there?
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

They only go where they can sell things after others have sorted out the cr@p.
  9. They did tell GWB to get fcuked, rather than just follow him blindly though. Perhaps they are not as stupid as others look.
  10. Why? Well I believe the answer is in the Quote:

The deal on nuclear energy is the latest in a series of similar agreements between France and Arab countries.

Hasn't France built Nuclear Power Stations before in the Middle East?
    I bet they get the contract for the UK's too!!

They are also sniffing around Iran... well someone has to sell 'em Nuclear.. and why not 'La France' ... Cnuts!

never forgave 'em for exporting Exocets and the technolegy to Argentina....
  11. Didn't France sign up to build a reactor in Libya last year? Sarkozy is already keen on building up a Med Union, looks like he's extending the boundaries further.
  12. I think it was Argentina that invaded the FI. Or, is there something I'm missing here? :D

As for why the French would want a presence in the region. Possibly to do with their expertise in building Nuclear Facilities of the Power Generation type. Far be it from me to suggest that European countries would look to extract as many dollars as possible from the region.

A la perchoine. :D
  13. I think that may refer to the sale of Exocets- Super Etendard or something...
    Edited to add- There is a great real-life spy tale about two Brits who posed as buyers to keep the missiles off the open market until the end of the war. I saw a docu about it many years ago, very clever sting.
  14. Cheers 762 - "crapauds" being the less than affectionate term for residents of Jersey - was thinking of offshore CI companies involved in arms supply to dodgy governments. Not that it's ever happened before you understand! Fanbasher I now realise was referring to crapauds in the wider "French" sense. Apologies Fanbasher.
  15. Chaps what are the French doing in AFG?