On War Service 1914 Badge

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by oldbaldy, May 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I've come into possession of an 'On War Service 1914' badge manufactured by WJ Dingley of Birmingham.
    These early badges were unnumbered but on the back it is also embossed with the initials S.E.W.
    Does anyone know if these initials have any significance? A person? A company?
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Yes Puttees I agree an Admiralty badge. The initials are stamped, my mistake!

The problem I have is I can't work out who it belong to. It was in some things my father collected, he was a bit of a magpie, and has only come to light because of a house move by my mother, old man died nearly 30 years ago. He had an uncle who was killed in 1915 at 2nd Battle of Ypres, his own father has the 1915 star, so unlikely it would have been them and the only other brother old enough to serve wasn't 18 until 1918.
  3. Today I came across a bag that has resided in my attic for ten years or so and which contained a few old cap badges etc. One was an On War Service Badge dated 1915 and numbered on the back 98424. Apart from paying money to the National Archives how would one find out who was issued with this badge.
  4. You could ask these chaps but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I seem to remember something that I'd read that said there was no consolidated list of names which indicated by serial number that a person had received the On War Service Badge. The War Service badge was noted on the Medal Card if the individual was eligible for it; a serial number was indicated if the badge had been issued.
    • Like Like x 1