On this day in 1919, the King said .............

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MadKev, Nov 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stumbled across this, hadn't ever seen it before. Seems to restore a meaning which I think is in danger of getting lost amongst the hyperbole.

Royal Proclamation, Buckingham Palace, 7th November 1919:

"To all my people,

Tuesday next, November 11, is the first anniversary of the Armistice, which stayed the world-wide carnage of the four preceding years and marked the victory of Right and Freedom. I believe that my people in every part of the Empire fervently wish to perpetuate the memory of that Great Deliverance, and of those who laid down their lives to achieve it. To afford an opportunity for the universal express of this feeling it is my desire and hope that at the hour when the Armistice came into force, the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, there may be, for the brief space of two minutes, a complete suspension of all our normal activities. During that time, except in the rare cases where this may be impractical, all work, all sound, and all locomotion should cease, so that, in perfect stillness, the thoughts of every one may be concentrated on reverent remembrance of the Glorious Dead. No elaborate organisation appears to be necessary. At a given signal, which can be easily arranged to suit the circumstances of each locality, I believe that we shall all gladly interrupt our business and pleasure, whatever it may be, and unite in this simple service of Silence and Remembrance"

• Like Like x 10
  2. i can recall a chat with an oap years ago,he said years back you were expected to stop driving and stand at the road side,and more or less everything did stop for two minutes.
  3. I do that. I drive for a living and I'm generally working on the 11th.
    Wherever I happen to be I pull over and mark the silence, I'm never the only one doing so, wherever I happen to be. Not uncommon to find half a dozen plus other people doing exactly the same thing in the same layby.

Its one of the few things that goes someway to restoring my faith in humanity.
    • Like Like x 9
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I happened to be passing through Glasgow airport on 11th Nov a couple of years ago....and that's exactly what happened......announcement over the PA and EVERY Brit stood still for two minutes......well done guys.... I was so moved I went to Oddbins and bought a bottle of Laphroaig .....
    • Like Like x 5
  5. "T..t...t...t...t...t..t"

Sorry, wrong one.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Delta - you could confuse a simple guy (so I've got NO CHANCE !)
  7. It still occurred in the '50s, although I think it had been reduced to 1 minute.

TV news showed the country at a total halt - including London. Very impressive.

I think the Cenotaph Service also took place on the actual anniversary, not the next Sunday after.
  8. Many years ago I was a bus driver for London Transport and was working one Remebrance Sunday morning, my regular conductor Harry, a WW2 veteran, asked if we could leave our starting point at Oxford Circus, en route to Crystal Palace a few minutes later than the scheduled time as this would put us along side Hyde Park at 11am. I duly did so and pulled into the kerb just before the guns fired. I stood by the side of the bus and as the guns marked the beginning of the silence I looked back to Harry who was standing on the pavement by the boarding platform. He had taken his cap of and was holding it across his chest, tears were streaming down his face as he looked straight ahead and ramrod straight, I doubt any Guardsman could have stood more erect. When the end of the silence crashed out, he hopped back onto the platform and gave me two bells to move off when I had regained my seat. A top man was Harry, just a brown job who did his bit and remembered his mates, one of a generation that is fast fading. I have never forgotten that moment.
    • Like Like x 5
  9. I don't think that this generation are forgetting, they seem more aware of what the old sweats have done than ever before. I've been doing the 11th on the 11th for years now no matter where i am, if i am in a town or place with a cenotaph then i go there, often on my own in years past. These days retired i go to my nearest town and there are always more than a handful these days.
    I think its their awareness of Iraq and Afgahn that has woke them up, but whatever its nice to see youngsters standing there with you.
  10. Many years ago, I was told that Lutyens intentionally designed the Cenotaph in Whitehall so that there is no right angle in its construction.

Anyone know anything about this?
  11. Yes, it's a design style called entasis. I think it's applied to the Cenotaph but I'm not sure that it is totally devoid of right angles.
  12. Fozzy and VM,

That's great. Thank you very much.
  13. All i know is that concept of the Cenotaph was considered as a temporary thing just to keep the Proles happy don't you know, as Britain had a much bigger task in hand I mean finding replacements for the maids is bad enough but have you tried to find a butler lately.
    It was the will of the people the real people who had lost brothers dads husbands etc that shut the brass up.
    Mind you at least we don't have to put up with the usual dribble about the Queen Mum gwd bless er, loosing three brothers in the War
  14. That's a cheap shot.