On the Memory Lane trail

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by NickyD, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know how to go about getting permission to visit Army camps? My husband served for 22 years and on his 60th birthday I want to take him back to old haunts and it would be so great to be able to pop in to one or two camps but I don't know who to speak to about it. The locations I am interested in are Lemgo and Celle.

2. Using THIS site I confirmed Stornoway Barracks in Lemgo as I've been there a few times myself. The RWF and the RIR were a couple of regiments I knew who were at the barracks.

It seems Stornoway Barracks have been handed over to the German authorities so getting permission shouldn't be a problem though you won't be able to tramp over Mitzi and Fritzi's frontroom as some of the blocks are now civvy flats. A link to some piccies as it is now is HERE.

Trenchard Barracks in Celle seems to be now (according to THIS site) occupied by 1RRF (Royal Regiment of Fusliers) and while you might be able to contact somebody asking for permission, it might be possible to bluff it as I did when dragging my dad round a barracks in Herford.

I hope this is of some help and I hope others might be able to open doors for you in Celle.

3. Mods. Would it be possible to move this thread to somewhere more appropriate?

Please.

Edited to say thanks.

4. Try writing to the CO of the barracks, if he is an ex army man set out when and were he served, you could ask if you could go and watch one of the parades or some thing like that, they are normally quite helpful to look after on of there own.

5. We are planning an trip in August 2008 to old BAOR haunts. We will try to co-ordinate access to old camps for ur travellers.