"ON" the Island of Ireland? Views?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by caubeen, May 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if any fellow-Micks/Paddys - and perhaps others - share my irritation at the increasingly common use of the expression "On the island of Ireland" - as if it were some little rocky islet, or a raft moored to the west of Britain.

This bizarre turn-of-phrase seems commonest among Nationalist politicians (Aherne, McGuinness, Adams) but is increasingly adopted by DUP people (Robinson etc.).

What pray, is wrong with "In Ireland"? Or, if you must, "In the island of Ireland".

People live IN a country, don't they?

Only sh1tty birds - like politicians - perch ON it, emitting what comes naturally . . . . .

2. "On the Continent" or "Incontinent"?

3. The term "on" is appropriate for use concerning islands... I'm fairly certain there is no geographical size constraint for such an application.

Perhap "On Eire" would be a more palatable phrase than "On Ireland" eh?

4. It's just a circumlocution enforced by politics, surely? 'Ireland' is generally used to refer to the RoI, so this is a way of including NI in whatever subject they're discussing. Ungainly, but perfectly reasonable IMHO.

5. Type Ulster or UVF or IRA or something similar in the search box on YouTube and you can take part in some great arguments about this as well as seeing some "interesting" videos on the subject. Look out in particular for some d*ckhead Italian American who Calls himself Rocky and posts regular videos in support of republicanism and the response by a masked loyalist inviting him to come to Ulster and share his views with them!!

"loyalist response" is the name of the vid i think....

6. Not in my company, it isn't. Or that of most Irish (both jurisdictions) in the Services.

It is that attempt by some Irish politicians and terrorists, of both colours, to deny the intrinsic Irishness of of people like us, that causes grave offence. I am an undenable Irishman, who pays his dues to London, Dublin and Stormont as appropriate, but who took the Queen's shilling and whose loyalty is to my sovereign and her parliaments according to law.

If a geographical remark is intended, why not say "in all of Ireland"? Or "throughout Ireland"?

"ON" sounds very like a perch. Or a sh1tting-post . . . . And many of these politicians seem merely to be perching temporarily - and doing the other thing.

7. So - ON Australia, perhaps? :? Biggish island. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eire, TG, went out when I was still in short trousers. Pretentious, unjustifiable apellation . . . . .

I think islands ought to be graded as the Romans/Greeks did - bigger than Rhodes, it's a large island, smaller, and it's a small island. Hence large = "in Rhodes"; smaller = "on Rhodes" .

And thence -- "In Ireland"

8. VMT for that alert. I'll go surfing . . . .

I've seen a few such clips.

Rather like to ask that Eytie-Yank and his ilk to interview a few of my ex-lads in the sgts' mess some evening. They'd inform him of the good news and the price of fish.

After which, they could pass the remains down via the cpls' mess to the boyos in the NAAFI.

Not one of them, incidentally, was/is an Orangeman or suchlike, or connected with organised "loyalism". But all know "how many beans make five", as we Irish say . . . .

9. All a matter of context... "One can find kangaroos on the continent of Australia" is perfectly acceptable. Suspect your irritation is better focused on the misuse of the term "on" when referring to the Irish nation or people rather than the island itself. One can be "in" a society, "in" a nation, or "in" a pub... referring to being "on" society or a nation rather is a descriptive term for a book or film... being "on" a pub infers that one is being a drunken idiot by clmbing on to the roof of your local bar. :D

10. Even up there, these mischievous, division-making, preposition-misusing politicians would not be safe from my bonny lads - and me, waiting below, with my heavy-duty blackthorn. 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

11. Oscar Wilde's observation is quite accurate in this case my friend... rather amusing to know our friends across the pond still use an antiquated form of English. ;)

(watch participants come out of the woodwork now to ramble on about illiterate and uncouth colonials...)

12. Wilde? Are you Shaw? :wink:

13. Oddly enough, both the Americans and the Irish have preserved elements of the English language which the English themselves have forgotten or discarded.

US punctuation habits, for example, are much "heavier" and more 19th-century than those of contemporary "English" [weak sense] users. The truth, as so often, probably lies somewhere in-between.

For myself and my family, we are content to be very much in and of Ireland, as - ancestrally, we have always been - but not "on" it, thanks all the same. After 396 years, we are deeply involved in, not perching on, temporarily . . . . .

14. As Shaw as Woilde ever was of anything boyond the last quip and epigram . . .

Of course, Behan an Irishman and, Yeats-indeed, a son of Ulster too, I may Swift-ly make Joice-es as to what is the O'Case-y . . . . .

15. I happen to be a fellow-Mick, caubeen, but I can't for the life of me see what your beef is. OK, so this or that expression is used to describe Ireland, either as a separated island (due to the annexation of the six counties), or as a "whole".

It's not as if anybody's going to mistake it for someplace else in the world is it?

Let people say what they want, as long as you have your own picture of Ireland in your heart, nothing can happen.

My personal picture is of a United Ireland, but maybe that's for the future.

MsG