Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the Ground podcast

mintymcginty

Old-Salt
Hello,

I've not been around these parts for a while but I thought I would pop up to let you know about a podcast I have made called On the Ground.

In 2003, I was embedded in the war in Iraq, a mouthy wee Glaswegian who had never been a war correspondent, sent by The Guardian, first to Kuwait and then Iraq with D Squadron, the Household Cavalry. It was an experience that changed my life and those of the young men I was with. There were some truly terrible, tragic incidents. And some laughter.

Together with Dan Maudsley, the producer of the award-winning podcast, Paradise, and Shelley Jofre, BBC Scotland investigations editor, we have produced On the Ground, a nine-part podcast series that looks back at that time, and also follows up on how it shaped the lives of some of those men.

It would be nothing without D Squadron. And I thank all of them, those that participated in the podcast and those that didn't. And their families too.

I am deeply proud that we have received messages from the families of two of the three men the squadron lost in Iraq, who, having listened to the podcast today said it was 'super', 'intensely emotional' and 'sensitive'.

Some of it is funny, but there are also tears – more than I ever expected.

A podcast is a slow burn. Please do listen if you can, it would also help if you could subscribe and if you listen via Apple podcasts, even rate and review.

You can listen on BBC Sounds here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p08n72kc

There will be a website, with photos and stories, in the coming days, here: www.bbc.co.uk/ontheground

And it's on Apple podcasts via the podcast app.

I hope you like it. x

Hello,

I've not been around these parts for a while but I thought I would pop up to let you know about a podcast I have made called On the Ground.

In 2003, I was embedded in the war in Iraq, a mouthy wee Glaswegian who had never been a war correspondent, sent by The Guardian, first to Kuwait and then Iraq with D Squadron, the Household Cavalry. It was an experience that changed my life and those of the young men I was with. There were some truly terrible, tragic incidents. And some laughter.

Together with Dan Maudsley, the producer of the award-winning podcast, Paradise, and Shelley Jofre, BBC Scotland investigations editor, we have produced On the Ground, a nine-part podcast series that looks back at that time, and also follows up on how it shaped the lives of some of those men.

It would be nothing without D Squadron. And I thank all of them, those that participated in the podcast and those that didn't. And their families too.

I am deeply proud that we have received messages from the families of two of the three men the squadron lost in Iraq, who, having listened to the podcast today said it was 'super', 'intensely emotional' and 'sensitive'.

Some of it is funny, but there are also tears – more than I ever expected.

A podcast is a slow burn. Please do listen if you can, it would also help if you could subscribe and if you listen via Apple podcasts, even rate and review.

You can listen on BBC Sounds here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p08n72kc

There will be a website, with photos and stories, in the coming days, here: www.bbc.co.uk/ontheground

And it's on Apple podcasts via the podcast app.

I hope you like it. x

Welcome back!

Have you checked this thread yet?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd like to give it a go, the problem for me is that The Guardian, BBC and Apple are a trilogy of agenda-driven parasites.
So I won't.
For the sake of my health, you understand.

I'd like to give it a go, the problem for me is that The Guardian, BBC and Apple are a trilogy of agenda-driven parasites.
So I won't.
For the sake of my health, you understand.

Use the Spotify link.

@mintymcginty do you have links for the whole series on Spotify? I can't seem to reverse to the series page (if Spotify has such a thing).

Thanks for the podcast. Great bit of work. Had various reasons for listening: Iraq, trauma, the incident, the reality of all involved, the response of our military and the US blocking. But what I am left with was a love story, gently and personally told. Thank you. Hoping each of you are working through your trauma, that showing your love, compassion for each other is part of healing.

mintymcginty

Old-Salt
Thanks for the podcast. Great bit of work. Had various reasons for listening: Iraq, trauma, the incident, the reality of all involved, the response of our military and the US blocking. But what I am left with was a love story, gently and personally told. Thank you. Hoping each of you are working through your trauma, that showing your love, compassion for each other is part of healing.
Thank you se very much for listening and for posting this. You're so kind. I am fine. But it's been hard work, and now it's a tough listen for those involved but we are getting incredible feedback from them and from families.