on the cusp of manhood

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by dandanthechainsawman, Apr 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What does it take to be a fully-fledged man in modern society? Is it the ability to down a pint at lightspeed, or perhaps pick out some nice fabric?

It occurred to me the other day, i've learnt a lot from this board over the years from when i started lurking and posting as a nipper. Arrse has given me advice that has got me laid, won me friends, educated me about the world and given me some cracking job ideas.

It has also given me ideas that have got me shouted at, slapped and in one instance nearly arrested.

So now, finally on the cusp of becoming a fully-fledged adult, what other skills and facts does a lad need to know?

2. To become a fully-fledged man you need to start by going into the AFCO and finish by coming back from an op tour of somewhere hot and sandy.

3. Does cold and windy not count then?

4. Bournemouth??

5. Being able to shag the fattest munter in the place and not be ashamed of the fact. When you have done that and been on a hot sandy tour then you can call yourself a man my son.

6. Back in '82 it definitely did.

7. Does dark and cold somewhere count

8. It's the NAAFI Bar but...
    Just the first verse of Kipling's 'IF' will do.

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

Failing that, if you can get the leg over without blowing chunks in the first 10 minutes. :lol:

9. After I joined the army and went on leave I was amazed at how utterly fu cking boring my former mates were and how little they knew about anything except for the small bubble they lived in and football. Not much has changed. So in my view, the consummate man should be well travelled, well read, witty, able to cook, recommend a reasonable red wine and speak at least one additional language.

10. On a cold dark Winter's night?

11. I believe you are correct :D

12. johnboyzzz is Tropper, £5 please! :p

13. On top of that id say be able to fix a car, change a wheel/plug, know how various power tools work, know how to garden and not be afraid of gettin your hands dirty etc...

Oh and not wear pink t shirts, fukcing skinny jeans and really gay multicoloured underwear like so many 'men' i see strutting about.

14. Funny that, at the moment I am readnig this on the Orient Express, last night I had Llama and Veal consumee for my starter with a nice ........

Oh bollocks you got me :soldier:

15. Yep. Agreed.