On Subject of Reenacters

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bombard, Oct 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.legionmagazine.com/features/militarymatters/04-11b.asp

"Retro Rations
    Do you have a hankering for the culinary delights enjoyed by Canadian soldiers during World War II? Do you have $17.50 (U.S.)?

Thanks to some “out-of-shape, thirtysomething guys” in Oregon who share a love of British military history, authentic reproductions of Canadian, British, American, Australian and Russian combat rations from WW II are being sold over the Internet. And business at the “Knacker Squaddies Quartermaster Depot” is surprisingly brisk.

The part-time business (http://17th division.tripod.com) was launched when one of the founders, who worked for a veterans’ organization in Oregon, was queried by a veteran’s son about the types of in-flight rations available to B-17 bomber crews during WW II. Because of his connections within the military-memorabilia community, he was able to produce some replicas of the original packaging. Response was so positive that he decided to put some food in the reborn packages, and a thriving business was born. The main market is military re-enactment groups that relive past battles.

“We’ve shipped to the UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, Switzerland and throughout the U.S.,” said a spokesperson, “although it does seem rather ironic that we are shipping repro British rations from Oregon to re-enactor groups in the U.K.”

The market is large simply because the re-enactment hobby is now so huge. Thus far, interest in the reproduced rations has been shown by a range of groups whose specialties range from Austrian soldiers in WW I to American troops in the Vietnam War. “I’d hate to hazard a guess at the average number of orders we get per week via EBay and the Web site, but it is certainly enough to keep three of us busy after we finish our day jobs.”

The most popular product is a “small-box” version of rations issued to Allied troops prior to D-Day. Available in five different versions (including tinned sardines with cheese-pouch supplement and “meat block” with cheese pouch and pressed-jam supplements), each $17.50 kit also contains plain and sweet biscuits, two tea blocks (“tea-milk-sugar combo”), one or two blocks of ham or tomato broth soup and several other non-food items, such as “one pack of latrine paper” and a can opener.

All items are new products that have been repackaged in replica labels from WW II. The labelling was produced from photos and digital scans. Any money made from their sale becomes “spending money” that allows the group to buy more memorabilia, particularly from the British army.

Part of the group’s Web site is devoted exclusively to Canadian rations from WW II. (The Canadian ration sets were sold out this summer, but more should be available soon.) They include everything from a tin of ham to two packs of sweets. The Web site adds: “Please note: Even though all Canadian boiled sweets are much better than their U.K. counterparts, these are in the original flavour varieties from the 1940s, such as Ice Peppermint and Scotchie Discs, which may appear unusual to the uninitiated palate.”

The Canadian ration pack also contains a pack of “latrine tissue that is great for sanding or cleaning the gas relief on the Bren.”

There is one sign that times have changed, however—the replica ration packs do not contain cigarettes. In the history section dealing with Canadian rations, the authors note that WW II Canadian 24-hour and 48-hour ration packs came with either a four-cigarette slide pack or 20-cigarette tin. "

Riiiiggghhhhttttt....

2. Nice one - this ought to bring back some memories to my Aunties. A lot of Canadians in Hastings during the war - one Aunt narrowly survived a pub bombed by Adolf in which several ex-Dieppe Canucks perished.

3. Do they do parcels of human flesh for Jap reenactors?

4. No....they can up some of the pig swill that SODHEXO knocks out and sends that to them.

5. Fcuking walts. Maybe we can arrange for them to experience, say, some authentic 1940's dentistry, or some authentic 1940's scratchy army Y-fronts or some authentic incoming fcuking MG42 rounds.

Tossers.

V!

6. I can understand the Viking/Medival/Civil war/Jacobite stuff - always fun to watch them batter the cr@p our of each other with swords but the Second world war re-enactors are just odd. The mordern ones are just ficking one sandwich short of a picknick.
    Do you think they will re-enact PSCO's or 1950's traffic wardens?

7. Agreed. I've seen a few Sealed Knot events and they are spot-on.

V!

8. I've had a wee think and I demand a troop of Traffic warden re-enacters!
    They will perform shows on the main roads and do daring ticketing raids on white vans full of drunken football fan's with shaved heads.
    Then tell warry tales in A&E.

9. your not sugesting We form an Arrse Walt group, with the sole aim of pissing off every other walt in the world.
    You know hte sort of thing, badly reserched Uniforms or showing up to a Moden Walt convention dressed as the Taliban...

Actualy the more I think about it, the more fun it sounds.

Just imagine the look on hte faces of a bunch of Spam walts as a horde of blokes dressed as the Taliban show up waveing supper soakers...

10. Thank You :D
    i used to be with them fond memories, especially the wenches wearing 17th century bodice

Pikeman/Musketeer , Sir Thomas Fairfax's Regiment of Foote

UP The Parliament ! Down with the King ! :wink:

11. How cruel. Soggy supper. 8O

12. Reminds me friends in the Medieval and Renaissance Society at College. Esp after they visited another university.

After one long nights drinking and sword bashing they stagger into the university gym, fall asleep on their sheepskins and cloaks, or mead jackets.

Come nine o clock, the college fencing club arrive and are none too amused to find 30 prone, intertwined Vikings and their ladies sprawled on their floor.

Being from quite a posh university, these fencers didn't consider the presence of drunken vikings a reason to cancel their morning hour of pin waving, and began poking them with their pins. Eventually one, Cormac I think, looked up, saw a lithe, white clad figure poking him with a sword, saying in a very refined voice 'get up! we've booked this for practice! get up!"

Two lessons I learn from this:
    A; don’t poke Vikings, even if they are re-enactors, with a sword. especially if they are hungover.

B: Cormac has a temper.

And a long, forged, sharp, broadsword.

He got up roaring at the poncy dude to **** out of his ******* sight before he ******** sticks his ****** arrse to the ****** wall with that piece of ***

Poncy dude goes into en garde with his epee or whatever.

Cormac goes Berserk. Draws sword and charges.

Poncy dude looks at his needle, looks at Cormac, and legs it around the gym screaming for help.

Fencing club look at Cormac. Look at the other fellas who were beginning to wake up, and leg it, followed by poncy dude and Cormac.

About an hour later, security arrive.

Three hours later, Cormac is found asleep in the quad. Dressed in Viking regalia, clutching his broadsword, with tourists posing for pics beside him.

13. Ah, well, you see... it all depends on whether you're talking about the Mark V Y-fronts (trialled in 1938) or the upgraded Mark VI (1944) with the olive green waist button replaced with a less expensive composite material one and moved a quarter of an inch to the left. In fact, another interesting fact is that the.... blah.....blah....blah......

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tossers indeed.

14. Me too, Semper, was also an ECWS member 84-94, Col Ralph Weldon's Regt of Foote. But you grow out of it. If you think the WWII and modern re-enactors are a bit odd, then what about the WWI lot, or for that matter the ones doing the Russian Civil War - or even the WWI and post, German Eastern Front? You have my assurance that some of them LIVE the period even when they're at home. It's really scary!

There's a re-enactment group for just about anything in the UK at present, probably there is a 1950's Traffic Warden group no doubt based at Crich Tramway Museum in Derbyshire. Certainly there is a Taliban re-enactment group in this country - I've met them!

A small group of us meet up at "Living History" events and enjoy the mild hobby of picking faults with displays and "outing" 20th Century Walts. We're all ex-mob so we know what we're looking for. :wink: