On psychometric testing at sandhurst.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Xoums, Feb 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In a attempt to gauge my intellectual abilities ( or lack thereof ) I attempted to do the Oxford university TSA (thinking skill assessment) which is the Oxford university entry level psychometric test, and I failed miserably.
    I first attempted the 2009 test and got 44% correct answers I then thought I could do better and attempted the 2008 one and got 34%....I'm feeling a bit retarded right now and was wondering if anyone knew how different the RMAS tests were compared to the Oxford uni tests and what was the percentage required to pass?
    I'm still going too keep working at this and try and improve one way or another but I must admit I'm a bit disheartened at my results and a bit stressed that I will not make the cut at Main board or even briefing.....
  2. You are quite clearly hard of thinking...
  3. would I get a special dispensation for being a mong?

4. 8O

So I take it you're not the easy going, stress free type?
  5. huh?
  6. Xomus you seem to be someone quite similar to myself in so much that you want to leave no stone left unturned when it comes to preparing for your selection process wether that the briefing or MB.
    Prior to my briefing i got a load of books on psychometric testing aimed at graduate leavers-MBA level, i studied them, done the practice tests etc. I found them to be quite difficult (surprising that seeing as im neither a grad or studying for an MBA!).
    When i got to the briefing and sat the MAP test i can honestly say i found it to be a piece of pis£, which i think was due to me preparing at a higher level than was required, really it is not that hard. Try looking here http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm

Don't worry, take a step back and just remember we can't all rock up to Westbury so cock sure and laid back as others have been :roll:
  7. Oxford TSA test? Dangerously elitist for you, surely? Or have you sorted out the chip on your shoulder?

Seriously however, don't over stress on psychometric tests. For the following reasons:

1. They are not particularly easy to manipulate - they tend to focus on innate traits and personality that are very hard for the user to influence.
    2. There are plenty of people who would tell you that they can be altered by changing your responses - all that tends to happen is that you produce an inconclusive set of returns and this can be damning in itself. It may reveal that you are trying to skew the test or are a rather confused and contradictory person. A very easy way to fail.
    3. You are also going to get interviewed. The person in the test results needs to correlate with the man in the room.
    4. I couldn't comment on the TSA test but are you sure that the percentile grading (which seems to be simplistic linear judgement towards an aspirant standard) it awards is the same as the Army's? After all, Oxford wants studious, diligent and open minded types. The Army is going to have an interest in people who have these qualities but who are able to be more decisive and tenacious. Perhaps that's more you?

If I were you, I'd establish your Myers-Briggs (or similar) rating and analyse it. Then, on interview, be able to discuss and qualify that rating in a manner that proves you are introspective but not neurotic; 'yes, I'm a heavily intuitive individual but I find that I always try to base this on a broad consideration of as much fact as I can gather in the time available...' or 'the discovery that I'm timid surprises me - I run boxing training for youngsters and...' etc.

This is likely to make you a more impressive candidate at interview.
  8. haha off course =), I was just bored and trying to instigate a bit of trouble......

I'm not sure how the army grades them.

thank you for the advice.

Kind regards,

9. Sorry for the confusion, I quoted the wrong bit of text!

Is what I meant to quote.

You should relax a bit I think, if you are really worried about it all when you come to do them you might not do yourself justice.
  10. Precisely my point! So relax.
  11. My prep for the briefing psychometric test consisted of reading through the booklet on the train en route to Westbury. Although in my report I was described as an under prepared candidate, I still passed! Relax and concentrate on the more important things that you can prepare for easily ie. the Plan Ex, your fitness and prep some answers for the interview!

12. Me too :D. Mind you I was 17 when I did the main board so we used to get made to do these sorts of things occasionally at school anyway for "careers" and similar nonsense.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't seem to have spent ages preparing for AOSB brief and main board.

I think the reason for that is when you go through the process still in full time education and a long way away from having to get a job it all seems a lot less important than when you are hoping to get into RMAS as soon as possible.

I imagine if you go through the process hoping to go into RMAS at the first available opportunity after passing AOSB then it could be a lot more stress inducing.
  13. I am surprised that some of us managed to pass before arrse existed.
  14. Don't worry too much about it too much, you need to look forward and be excited to the challenges of briefing and main board. If you show determination and the will to be there you get noticed.

There are tons of books out there that will help you with the MAP tests, pop down to your local library, I am sure they will have some.

I know a few people on my briefing who were awarded below average on their MAP tests and still got Cat 1/2.

15. The MAP tests really are quite simple. Just make sure you can do rough percentages etc.

Do not flap, I passed them and I am a fecking dunce.