On My Command - Unleash Hell - US Army vs. VC Sniper

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by JoeCivvie, Jun 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In Hollywood they call it the Stormtrooper effect. Great photos but probably totally ineffective

• Like Like x 1
  2. "The guy would stand up from behind a rock and blow off a clip from his AK47 on full-auto"

Obviously a highly-trained sniper.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Viet Kong....... Big hairy bad guy?

4. As with 'Luke the Gook' at Khe Sanh, described in Despatches. Luke retired into his 'spider hole' when hell was unleashed and would sit out the automatic fire, artillery and bombing. When it all quietened down he'd pop up and fire off a single round, which invariably caused casualties.

Daily Mail readers may think so.

5. I seem to remember that Luke the Gook didn't cause casualties, so when they didn't hit him they weren't too worried because if they did he might be replaced by someone who could shoot?

6. Good photos.
    Why does "Sledge hammer to crack an egg" spring to mind

7. "Spray and Pray" precision response ...

8. Teach me to post whilst half asleep.

9. Good shooting! (Running hot on the puns today)

10. I recall a similar incident recounted in a book of a VC sniper picking off US Marines on Hill 55 near Da Nang. But in that instance it was met by one Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock with a single 30-06 round from a Winchester 70. It had a verifiable effect. No need for the light show.

11. Shouldn't the title read "On my command, all fire ineffectively at a hill"

Nice pics