On Line Map Symbols

Apart from the "Battle Box", is there a source of reference for military map symbols - need to get into the nitty gritty of individual weapon symbols etc.

many thanks

Wow! did I read his ad right? He spent umpteen years at proper grown-up school, achieved his majority, appears to have a kitbag full of quals and now he's trying to persuade people to purchase letters from him??

The sheer neck of this bloke is amazing! Surely most of the people who would even consider using his services know that most word processing programs already contain a sh*t load of fonts... I mean, £600 for a font? Zoinks!

This link blew me away. I know this bloke, he is a a right tosser and it has astounded me that he is doing this. Actually no, IFOR he was a geek, spent little time on anything else but obviously learning this. Now I know. What's this shite he wrote:
If you would like to make a totally voluntary donation for all my hard work (wow - are you feeling all right?), you can leave a secure donation with PayPal. No obligation.

No obligation. So Arrse members will you ever expect a voluntarily contribution for all your hard work? Mail him and tell him he is a cnut.

pipelinepete said:
Apart from the "Battle Box", is there a source of reference for military map symbols - need to get into the nitty gritty of individual weapon symbols etc.

many thanks
IIRC APP-3 is the NATO map marking manual. Every unit should have a copy.

3 things if I may:

1. Tom Mouat's work on 'digitising' APP-6a saved the Government an absolute fortune - he did it as a private citizen and then gave all his work (i.e. the fonts) to the Government gratis. IMHO he deserves a little gratitude from someone. I agree that his website is a little dull, but then why visit if you aren't interested in this sort of thing?

2. OOTS (among others) is quite correct - the NATO standard is APP-6a. This is why the Bowman system has this symbol set - it provides a guarantee of graphical interoperability with our NATO chums if nothing else. :wink:

3. The UK standard is colloquially termed 2525B. This is what leads to confusion in the Fd Army as some people are used to different symbology i.e. the use of a 'key' for CSS as opposed to using the word 'CSS' in sub-field A.

Please can you explain why you think there is a need for this within our armed forces?

lawstudent said:
Apart from the "Battle Box", is there a source of reference for military map symbols...
I believe that is the whole point of this thread. You may wish to visit this site for more information. The authority behind this work is a NATO document called 'APP-6a' which several ARRSErs discuss in other posts in this thread.

lawstudent said:
Please can you explain why you think there is a need for this within our armed forces?
Well, I can only surmise that it may (possibly) be something to do with wanting to share common understanding of the battlespace; understanding what each symbol means - and agreeing with everyone else that it means just that; and ultimately so that our sharp pointy infanteers and tankies all kill the right people.

joobs said:
APP-3 governs (amongst much else) NASIS - the NATO Subject Indicator System, which is where we get our SICs from for messaging. It also directs what should receive what level of classification.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with map marking symbology.

Aha - I can clear up the confusion here.

In the beginning was Mil-Std 2525, a US document.

APP-6A is a NATO document that adopts Mil Std-2525 for (not surprisingly) NATO.

Functionally the Mil-Std is identical and people muttering about 2525B are no doubt referring to it. Nevertheless, APP-6A is the UK baseline.

Darth_Doctrinus said:
joobs said:
APP-3 governs (amongst much else) NASIS - the NATO Subject Indicator System, which is where we get our SICs from for messaging. It also directs what should receive what level of classification.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with map marking symbology.
You are quite right, I left some years ago and memory isn't what it always was. Thanks for the correction.

Taking it one stage further, any idea where I can get an App-6A stencil? I understand they are manufactured in Aus, but there must be somewhere in the UK that supplies, my old one is just about ready for recycling :?