On being sporty

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Krek_Brizzle, Jun 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. I'll try and keep it brief.

I'm 25 and am planning on applying for a commission, most likely in the Infantry or the RAC. I haven't done anything about it yet because I have had to re-sit my GCSE maths. I was informed that it is something on which the Army does not budge, so I've taken care of it and am waiting on results before I make contact.

As well as being a feckless little shite when I was at school, I was also rather small and somewhat weak. Thus, I have never really played competitive sport. Over the last couple of years I've worked on building myself up in the gym, and am also using the time before I approach the Army to work in my aerobic fitness. The sport/adventurous training aspect of the army really appeals to me and if given the chance I'd definitely throw myself into it with great gusto.

My question is, would my abject lack of sporting prowess make me an unattractive prospect? To compensate I do have, if I may say so, a strong academic record from university (where I worked very hard) and a good knowledge of current/military affairs.

Edited for grammar.
  2. This question seems to come up fairly regularly and the short answer is that you don't need to be a sport lover but you do need a good level of enthusiasm.