On antidepressants - am I fecked?

Hi all,

I'm back, and I'm sure you missed me a lot, me being a celebrity around these parts 'n all :)

I received some great help when I posted on here before and I'm hoping I can get some help again, preferably from someone who has been in the same slightly uncomfortable shoes (or should I say boots? Or is that too presumptuous?)

Anyways, enough of all that - I was put on an SSRI about a month ago because of some issues in life regarding family and etc - not the kind of thing that would affect me in the Reserves, but the kind of thing that was tough to deal with at the time. Now one month on, I've been given a repeat presciption for a month, but my mate in the Reserves said that he spoke to his chain of command and they basically said "Jog on, sunshine!"

Obviously this is pretty gutting, I had planned to join the Reserves during Uni and for a bit after, and then go Regs. Now it seems I can't do either - arrse! Should I apply and appeal, or should I sign on at the jobcentre/sell a kidney/consider a lucrative career in scuba diving for relics?

Cheers all.

I suspect you will be declined, you’re a compensation case waiting to happen.

But you’ll never know unless you try, after all it’s the Reserves, Kermit the Frog is a Royal Signal Reservist.

I suspect you will be declined, you’re a compensation case waiting to happen.

But you’ll never know unless you try, after all it’s the Reserves, Kermit the Frog is a Royal Signal Reservist.
An honour to be answered by the mighty dingerr :)

I'm not a Mark David Chapman type if that's what you're thinking, the anti-depressants were given to me basically as a "here you go, get the feck out of my office" type of thing. I heard that some people have successfully appealed, some people haven't, I'm hoping that someone can clear that up.

Cheers though mate, I'll put an application in and see.

An honour to be answered by the mighty dingerr :)

I'm not a Mark David Chapman type if that's what you're thinking, the anti-depressants were given to me basically as a "here you go, get the feck out of my office" type of thing. I heard that some people have successfully appealed, some people haven't, I'm hoping that someone can clear that up.

Cheers though mate, I'll put an application in and see.
I appreciate what you are saying, but you’re just one of many so the MoD will treat you generically and deem that you are not suitable for service due to MH issues.

However, this is just my educated guess and I could be wrong and they may accept you provided your condition is managed.

I appreciate what you are saying, but you’re just one of many so the MoD will treat you generically and deem that you are not suitable for service due to MH issues.

However, this is just my educated guess and I could be wrong and they may accept you provided your condition is managed.
I think I found my answer, a mate of mine found the JSP on t'internet and it says the following:

"18. Candidates with a diagnosis of a single episode of mild or moderate depression (F32.0, 32.1) with a clear precipitating stressor may be graded FIT provided that all treatment, including medication, has been completed and the individual must be free from symptoms and off medication for 1 year."

Not too bad, all things considered.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hellsbrink The NAAFI Bar 63
Q Health and Fitness 78
F Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 0

Latest Threads