On a more serious note....

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Ranger, May 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My employer is a bit rubbish at giving me time off work for camp/courses (it's not like I rip the arse out of it).
    So I was wondering what people have found to be the best ways to approach less than cooperative managers etc. with requests for time off.
    I was also wondering if this a common problem encountered by people, or do I just work for a shi te company?

2. As far as I know employers don’t have to give you time off unless you’ve been called up. If your employer is being less than helpful then your just going to have to eat into your holiday time/sick days.

3. Get new employer!!

Dave

4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Is it your line manager who is giving you a problem? Is there a company policy on reserve service? Is he following it? You could ask for a copy of the policy in writing.

Mind you if you are in a small firm and your boss is the proprietor or close to him then your only optionis to find out how important you are to the company and tell them that unless you get time off you will be seeking employment that is more sympathetic to your idea of work/life balance.

BTB are other employees allowed flexible hours or flexible terms of condition s to look after kids or take educational courses or whatever? If so you could point out that you are being treated unfairly compared to them.

You could also try getting help from SABRE. If you try that route please report back on the result.