• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

on a break my arrse!

The other day the guy who is now my ex turns around and says he wants us to go on a break. Admittedly I had noticed a change in him. Basically to cut a very long story short he says he has to much pressure in his life and he needs to sort himself out. I could have coped with that as I know that you army men have a lot of stress in your lives. However he at first neglected to tell me that this little event would be occuring without me.
Then I happen to see him this weekend and he tells me he still loves and wants to be with me. And when he sorts his life out we can 'live the dream' together.
The question im puttin to you Arrse readers, especially knowing how truthful you all are is, is this just male code for the fact he wants to shag around with the little slappers from Tidworth and play the field for a while, then when he is finished and had his come back to me and settle down?

You could look at it in a more positive light!

dirty_monkey said:
he wants to shag around with the little slappers from Tidworth and play the field for a while, then when he is finished and had his come back to me and settle down?
but he doesn't want to cheat on you!!!!!

Or you can look at it in the more realistic light as suggested by the comments above!

I'm not sure if I'm reading between the lines correctly. Are you young, free & single and from Tidworth?

You're sitting on a chuffing gold mine - what a commodity in a garrison town with hordes of young soldiers and almost no females (at least that's my recollection). Bin the tosser - there'll be no shortage of substitutes.

Er, except if it was me of course!!

The title of your post says it all!!

Why sit at home crying over him? As Whistler put it your sitting on a potential goldmine - get your arrse out there missus!!

dirty_monkey said:
The other day the guy who is now my ex turns around and says he wants us to go on a break. Admittedly I had noticed a change in him. Basically to cut a very long story short he says he has to much pressure in his life and he needs to sort himself out. I could have coped with that as I know that you army men have a lot of stress in your lives. However he at first neglected to tell me that this little event would be occuring without me.
Then I happen to see him this weekend and he tells me he still loves and wants to be with me. And when he sorts his life out we can 'live the dream' together.
The question im puttin to you Arrse readers, especially knowing how truthful you all are is, is this just male code for the fact he wants to shag around with the little slappers from Tidworth and play the field for a while, then when he is finished and had his come back to me and settle down?
To be fair my answer is no.

He won't be just trying in Tidworth if he has any sense - he will be casting his net far and wide and trying to get as much as he can, where he can. He also may not even come back if he finds an especially talented laydee who is happy to let him crack on doing whatever he wants. I could be wrong tho.

maninblack said:
Whislter, are you suggesting that she could earn a fortune without getting out of bed?
You've got it MiB. The work would be seasonal - i.e. start of the month/end of the month. Oh just think when all of these very rich young soldiers come back from hot and sandy places who haven't been able to spend their cash for the past few months.

Rake it in while you can girl.

Except if it was me of course!

There are two equally valid explanations for his behaviour. You can opt for either – they’re both right.

1. We’re all bast@rds, at least periodically.

2. Young men don’t want happiness. It’s dull.
There’s a reason we can’t fcuking stand chick flicks that goes way beyond their flaccid scripts and effete leading men that demand a good punching: the thought that our lives will ever be suffocated to the point that we care whether Cynthia secretly fancies Gunther or whether Mr Darcy will ever work up the nerve to ask Miss Cnutflaps out on a date is, frankly, TERRIFYING.

We want to be shooting Nazis and shagging Penelope Cruz.

And sorry, this goes for Estate Agents as well as Squaddies – your average Bill Oddie just goes at it with a little more professionalism and style.
We know it’s wrong, we know that we should find someone who’ll put up with and love us in equal measure, and we are remarkably good at spotting the traits of a good potential wife. The trouble is that we also feel that we are missing out on the adventure, that everyone else is having more fun than us – and until we grow out of that, we’re of no use to you if you want a nice lawyer type who wears silly Xmas jumpers to settle down with.
And the worst thing - the VERY worst thing - is that when, in moments of honesty, we articulate this need for variety and excitement, you ladies think we’re being childish and it’s dismissed.
No one will tell you, but when you’re young, relationships that blur into the long term are nice and everything, and after a few beers we quite like the idea, but they’re fairly dull and predictable. Sex becomes a bit of a well-practised race to an all too familiar finish line and fun nights out become nights spent putting up with your mates with a glass of warm wine in our hands. Our own friends wonder which side of the earth we fell off and TO CAP IT ALL OFF, we become more attractive to females because we’re in a relationship. Boredom, temptation and a Peter Pan complex – life’s a b1tch eh?

The older/wiser we get, the more philosophical we are about all this, and our biological urges to pick up a spear, raid next door’s village and ravish his women diminish, but it is part of our make up for most of us, and only time and a little experience cools down those instincts.

CHALLENGE and NOVELTY: it’s been discussed elsewhere by Rocketeer, but that’s what we want. And, by the way, when I say “we” I mean lads and lassies. Women get programmed from their first dolls house that they want happiness, but that’s not my experience. We’re sentient human beings, not cattle.

So, sadly I cannot offer you any advice, except don’t roll your eyes and despair – it’s how we are until our ‘hunter’ instincts mature into our ‘provider’ instincts. You’re a bunch of psychopaths who are slaves to your emotions, but we still love you AND TAILOR OUR STRATEGY to the fact. Or at least the good ones do.

So, remember that every relationship you have will end in tears, except the very last one, and they will likely fall into 3 categories. (I’m simplifying and I can only talk with a little authority on behalf of blokes between 18 and late 20’s).

1. The bloke who doesn’t know what he wants, but wants it to be exciting and preferably involving Nazis and Tommy Guns. They’ll be fond of you, but are way too much in the grip of stronger currents to settle down. Be prepared to jump ship when the hull starts splitting.

2. The bloke who is ready for a proper, long term, ride into the sunset relationship. This will be because a) he’s the perfect man with floppy hair and he’s fallen madly in love with you or b) he’s frightened of being left on the shelf. There’s many more type b)s and they are the real Bast@rds because they’re too emotionally substandard to admit the fact to themselves. All the type a)s live in your DVD player.

3. Hetero Sapiens. Everyone else. If the chemistry is right, he’ll fall in love with you, but despite EVERYTHING you girls get taught by Sex in the City, Friends and nearly every novel written for women since 1990, that’s the easy part. If you want to keep him then try to keep things interesting and don’t take him for granted because you ‘snared’ him. Ever. If he’s worthy, he’ll do exactly the same. If he doesn’t, ditch the bast@rd, because notwithstanding all the above, he shouldn’t feck you around just because he can’t control his hormones.

Oh, and it pays to get a thorough understanding of all this now because it comes back with a vengeance when we’re 45 and is called the Mid Life Crisis.

Latest Threads