Olympic Shooting Venue - Signatures needed!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Biped, Dec 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Just got an email from Bisley:

Please read on this is really important and will only take a few moments. Shooting needs your signature on the petition.

Over £18 million approx (at the 2006 bid price) will be spent on building the 2012 Olympic shooting sports venue at Woolwich Barracks and then after the Olympics it will be pulled down again. This is not only a total waste of money and an immoral use of resources but more importantly it does not leave any lasting legacy for shooting sports in this country. Every year the Great Britain shooting teams work hard to bring home medals from competing in ISSF and FITASC disciplines world wide.

Surely it deserves a lasting legacy?

PLEASE PLEASE SIGN at the link below.

And if possible get others to sign it.

Gobment Petition

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Done for what its worth the shooting should be held at Bisley and the facilities then used to train future competitors, to say that those sports or disciplines arent done at bisley then Bisley needs to change if the gobment wants the medal count to increase and it should pay for it!

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

The trouble is that, if you look at pistol, the only people that could use the full bore is the Military. One of my CSgts, probably the best shot I've ever seen, used to spend a good deal of his cash travelling across to Europe (Switzerland, I think, of all places) with the Welsh and GB team because they couldn't practise in the UK.

For rifle, with the help of PC townie loons we have in charge, the rest of society thinks that all shooting events are elitist, inherently dangerous, probably immoral and definitely setting the wrong tone for the youth of today.

I've signed but hold out little hope for common sense to prevail.

4. I always got the idea that the Government would really rather not dirty their hands with shooting and its only because we couldn't have had the Olympics otherwise that they've been forced, grudgingly, to do something.

However, in a fit of childish pique, they're going to make sure its all pulled down afterwards so Bisley gets no advantage.

I shall write to my MP (for all the good that will do me). :x

5. As the Olympics is being held in London why bother building a range? Surely the IOC should just name a new event... Drive By Shooting.

6. Has anyone else noticed the cut off date was yesterday

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cutt of date was 2008!

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well that's a bit dumb - I only got the email this morning - and it's put my name up, so there you go.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Dont worry a lot of others have made the mistake of misreading the cut off date as yeaterday, its on all of the on line petitions, if you re read you will see the 2008 date! I suspect its tyoped up like that to discourage those who wont read fully and just give it the quick well meaning band wagon jump!

10. me too

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

the website reads: We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to ensure there is a Lasting Legacy for Shooting Sports in the UK by moving the venue away from the Woolwich Barracks. More details

Submitted by Mrs Nicola Heron – Deadline to sign up by: 18 December 2008 – Signatures: 143

So dont hesitate!

12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

13. If it's illegal to own pistols, other than police/military users, how are all of those pistol packin' competitors going to get through Heathrow? Will the law need to be changed for the Olympics?

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Pretty much!

Edited to add they will in effect be granted section 5 visitors permits but wont have access to their weapons untill theyare about to use them.