Olympic security chaos: depth of G4S security crisis revealed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Radiance, Jul 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Absolutely shocking.

Olympic security chaos: depth of G4S security crisis revealed | Sport | The Guardian

I am all for privatisation of all but essential government services but G4S must be penalised for failing to deliver. I hope the contract they signed with the government has substantial penalty clauses, triggered not only by whether they reach the number of recruits (or should I say, rabble?) but based on the quality of them.

I know that security types usually aren't the sharpest knife in the block but this is beyond the pale.

Let's face it: the majority of security people at the Olympics, with training like that, wouldn't know a real bomb if they saw one.

2. Won't happen. It would mean the govt. admitting that the mighty Olympic Ring of Steel consists mainly of resentful dolies and reject trolley-mongs from Tesco.

3. Get with the ****ing project mate!

Pays to be a team player these days, and if you think it's bad now you wait till the Olympics are over; you're not needed and Dave and Theresa remember all the people who they don't like....

4. Sounds like a quality private sector firm to me. Minimum facilities, training and pay. Maximum profit for the share holders. Shoddy product and service.....The shoddy product and service bit is similar to the results from the public sector.
    But the pays worse.

5. Proves the underlying utter incompetence of the Government and Olympic Committee, though. I think if I'd been minister in charge faced with such a blindingly obvious "risk" I'd have compelled G4S to hold inspection parades for their guardforce in each of the weeks leading up to the event - just to get a reality check on who and how many they'd actually recruited and trained.

6. And they'd have cheerfully added another hundred million or so to the bill for doing so.

7. What surprises me is that everyone is surprised that G4S fcuked up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. There is no way at all that this situation simply happened. Any major event or project will have a meticulous project plan, which nails down contractors to identified milestones and deliverables. This has been on the radar for ages (especially since the Jubilee disgrace which exposed the shoddy sub-consultants relied upon) but the official position will have been head-in-the-sand, in the full knowledge that the Armed Forces would be called upon last minute. The human impact of this shambles could have been avoided by standard project planning practice, which is to insert an optimism bias to increase the forecast numbers required from the Armed Forces. But G4S would not wish to have done this as it would have impacted on their fee and the government would not have wished to seem incompetent... easier to let it slide, screw over 3,000 Armed Forces personnel (I guess this number will rise again if the unfolding shambles is anything to go by) and blame G4S, who don't really care as long as they get most of their fee, as any penalty fees will be written down and make no difference in overall profitability.

Theresa May is (indirectly) an investor in G4S... she owns Prudential shares and Prudential are the major investor in G4S. May will make money out of not rocking the boat in this case.

That's British politics in 2012. Corrupt and incompetent. MPs should be means-tested on their salary and expenses vs external income (and paid the national minimum wage in most cases) and made to divest all shares upon election.

9. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Did anyone see Newsnight last night with that fat, pudgy bastard complaining that he'd been interviewed six weeks ago but still hadn't been given a job?

He was almost crying.

Call my cynical, but could it be he didn't get a job because, well, he's a fat, pudgy, pie-muncher?

BBC iPlayer - Newsnight: 12/07/2012 - 4min 13 secs.

Also, why is everyone gunning for the government on this one?

Lets say the government had taken all reasonable steps to ensure that they were monitoring G4S to a suitable degree.
    Can they be blamed if G4S simply lied to their faces?

"Yeah mate, no bovver, sorted yeah."

Lets switch fire onto those ******* and get their government contracts taken off them. Plenty of other firms willing to step up to the plate, for a lot less too.

10. You and I have discussed this extensively via PM mate; my view is that post-May 2010 the Tories did a quick bit of Mission Analysis on getting an outright majority in 2015. Gideon Osborne was very much the man in charge of this process and the view that he came up with (and endorsed by bloody Cameron insofar as Cameron bothers to do anything much) is that the public sector was entirely resposnible for the hung parliament; the flaw in this this argument is this - plenty of the electorate have long memories and remember what the Tories were like under both Thatcher and Major and were not inclined to vote for them again. But in the warped view of Gideon, who really does have an intolerance for a point of view other than his own that borders on the pathological, the only way to win in 2015 is to uttely destoy the public sector at whatever apparent cost because then these people will not turn out and vote for Labour (if they ever did). Oh, and don't get me started on the irony of corporate interests like G4S basing their whole business model on securing public sector contracts. The Augean Stables need a thorough cleaning out IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Glad that they're about to issues 8,000 event tickets to the 17,000 blokes deploying. Does each bloke get to watch half an event? Theresa May - she's a ****ing chump, who needs a boot in the arse.

12. Interestingly I read in the Sun this morning that 3,500 soldiers, sailors and airmen, drafted in to bale out G4S, will have to be accomodated in "tents and possibly old warehouses" - surely G4S has sorted billeting for the 3,500 "missing" security guards and that accomodation should now be made avavailable the MOD personnel bailing them out?

13. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

If they couldn't manage to hire the numbers required for an event this big with that much notice, I doubt they'd have managed to organise B&B's for them either. :D

14. Can't we just ask whoever hosted the event last to take over, this lot clearly can't organise it.

15. G4S couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, let alone accommodation for 3,500 blokes. They could do with a decent QM's dept to sort them out.