Olympic logo firm chosen ‘blind’

Group behind Games sign was picked without first submitting designs

THE organisers of the London Olympics hired the firm that designed the much-derided logo for the 2012 Games without seeing any of its designs.

The selection committee, chaired by Lord Coe, made its decision after a competition that lasted 13 weeks but failed to ask any of the contenders to show them their proposed image.

Branding industry insiders said this weekend that the tactic of hiring consultants “blind” was considered unusual and risky on a contract as valuable as the Olympic branding.

“It surprises me that on a brief this big the contenders were not asked to render their ideas before the contract was awarded,” said Paul Owen, creative director of Heavenly, a rival London brand agency. “The way the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games have run the competition is not standard practice.”

In full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/london_2012/article1909770.ece

Are they selecting the venue Architects the same way? This really does not bode well.

No doubt they will be moved to Defence procurement forthwith.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm so sorry - I read that as

' Olympic Logo Chosen By Blind Man '....must get some slower specs....

As people who are following Sgt Mick Brennan's bid to become a member of the British Paralympic squad will know from the Arrse thread here, there is already a perfectly good logo they could default to at the drop of hat;

Le Chevre

“It surprises me that on a brief this big the contenders were not asked to render their ideas before the contract was awarded,” said Paul Owen, creative director of Heavenly, a rival London brand agency. “The way the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games have run the competition is not standard practice.”

It brings to mind the quote attributed to Sir Alec Issigonis, designer of the Mini: 'A camel is a horse designed by committee'.

Maybe Tessa Jowell buys £50 rather than £250 handbags. :)

armchair_jihad said:
What's the betting that the CEO of the design agency has mates in the government?

Ancient_Mariner said:
armchair_jihad said:
What's the betting that the CEO of the design agency has mates in the government?
What a nasty cynical chap you are AM. And you're probably right.

Bodes well for 2012, doesn't it............on top of escalating costs, and I heard yesterday that we may have to hire in foreign fuzzas we don't have enough of our own trained in firearms to police the event.

I think Paris won the bidding contest after all........

Ancient_Mariner said:
armchair_jihad said:
Indeed, the following from the Sunday Telegraph:

The "core team" working on the project numbered less than 10. Mr Cox was in charge of the design team, and was assisted by Sarah Stevens, project manager and included Michael Wallace, a senior designer.

In overall control of the "brand project" was Brian Boylan, 61, the chairman of Wolff Olins who has worked at the company since the late Sixties.

In that time, Wolff Olins has built impressive links with the Labour establishment. Sarah Brown, the wife of Gordon, the prime minister in waiting, started her career at Wolff Olins after leaving university.

Michael Wolff, the company's co-founder, was credited with creating Labour's red rose symbol in 1986, and in 1998 its representatives were called upon by Tony Blair to be part of a group of "creative thinkers" helping to "rebrand Britain" and create the brief, heady days of "Cool Britannia".

Mr Boylan is a member of the Tate Modern Council and serves on the board of the Government-funded Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

visitingrock said:
Ancient_Mariner said:
armchair_jihad said:
Indeed, the following from the Sunday Telegraph:

The "core team" working on the project numbered less than 10. Mr Cox was in charge of the design team, and was assisted by Sarah Stevens, project manager and included Michael Wallace, a senior designer.

In overall control of the "brand project" was Brian Boylan, 61, the chairman of Wolff Olins who has worked at the company since the late Sixties.

In that time, Wolff Olins has built impressive links with the Labour establishment. Sarah Brown, the wife of Gordon, the prime minister in waiting, started her career at Wolff Olins after leaving university.

Michael Wolff, the company's co-founder, was credited with creating Labour's red rose symbol in 1986, and in 1998 its representatives were called upon by Tony Blair to be part of a group of "creative thinkers" helping to "rebrand Britain" and create the brief, heady days of "Cool Britannia".

Mr Boylan is a member of the Tate Modern Council and serves on the board of the Government-funded Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

I am positive this government dont have enough hands, or pockets to go around.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
theiftaker said:
Goatman that Logo is the dogs proverbials, much better than that broken swastika
Yeah, I thought so too....might see if I can get some tee-shirts sorted.

Your avatar is equally a step beyond - hope it's the girlfriend :-D

( sadly I suspect she's old enough to be my grand-daughter :roll: )

Lee Shaver

Goatman said:
I'm so sorry - I read that as

' Olympic Logo Chosen By Blind Man '....must get some slower specs....

As people who are following Sgt Mick Brennan's bid to become a member of the British Paralympic squad will know from the Arrse thread here, there is already a perfectly good logo they could default to at the drop of hat;

Le Chevre
I'm loving that Paralympics logo...G_Man

A sence of strength and you know by the lion it's British...
Much more in keeping than that drivel chosen, Seb Coe needs a kicking. God i've seen better
graffiti than that down town..FFS.. :roll:

Bambi said:
Bodes well for 2012, doesn't it
One of the panel on last week's Question Time summed it up nicely when she said of the olympic project "It has the whif of catastrophe about it". I can see three possibilities:-

1 IOC passes a vote of no confidence in Seb & Co and offers the games to another country.
2 We end up paying armies of Polish builders 100 quid an hour to get the venues finished in time.
3 The venues aren't finished and the games are held in school sports grounds and municipal swimming pools.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
The reason why these blind chaps got the job is not because of any competitive tendering (as should have happened), or because they were good at what they did, but because they were and are Labliar stooges.

Cronyism to the max.

I understand the cynisim but isn't Lord Coe a dyed in the wool Tory? Doesn't detract from the fact that I could have done better if I had squirted ink up my arse and waited on a good fart!

Ancient_Mariner said:
Bambi said:
Bodes well for 2012, doesn't it
One of the panel on last week's Question Time summed it up nicely when she said of the olympic project "It has the whif of catastrophe about it". I can see three possibilities:-

1 IOC passes a vote of no confidence in Seb & Co and offers the games to another country.
2 We end up paying armies of Polish builders 100 quid an hour to get the venues finished in time.
3 The venues aren't finished and the games are held in school sports grounds and municipal swimming pools.
We all may laugh... :lol:

But A_M,
Your pretty much on the money, judging by the "New Wembley"
Fiasco a few months ago.
We as a nation in the past have spawned great Builders and Industrialists
The likes of Isembard Kingdom Brunnel...Would turn in his grave at our
lack of building drive and finesse... :roll:

PS..A ton for the polish... :roll:
More like what the chinese cockle pickers were paid... :wink:

I've been involved with some of the "behind the scenes" discussions and planning for the Olympic XC mountain biking event - and suffice to say, its a complete and utter farce based around politics and vested interests.

The site originally chosen, was actually fairly good riding, at least as good as it gets in the south of England - then just before the final bid was put in, it got transferred to a country park in Essex, flat as a pancake, no technical challenge whatsoever, shite soils so that if its wet, then the whole thing will be a farce - there isnt even going to be a permanent legacy course left, they have budgeted to bring all the materials in and then remove them afterwards :eek:(

why was it moved? apparently they cited security fears and it being on the wrong side of london - security fears being a joke, the proposed site was half on MOD ranges! Britain has some of the best MTB locations in the world, with significant bike tourist revenues available if we put it in the right location and raise the event profile - wrong location and we'll be an international laughing stock.

So, we're going to put on a course that is, basically, shite, at twice the price - and will get nothing but scorn from the competitors and spectators, all because someone in a commitee meeting decided that the politics were more important than the race.

its all bollocks!

Come 2012, when it all goes "Pete Tong".... :roll:

Will Lord Coe and Co be to blame?

It seems as it stands right now in 2007, It is already massively over budget,
and likely to soar to a Quantum figure.

It might go the way of that big "White Elephant" the Dome or now called the
O2 dome thingy.. :roll:

Or am i being too Cynical.. :wink:

We held the Commonwealth Games in Manchester in 2002 with areas of the City flattened to make the 'Games Village' Is Manchester now a centre of sports excellence with world class facilities, As promised?

The World Student Games were held in Sheffield in 1991 and Ponds Forge Swimming Ariana is falling to pieces due to lack of maintenance.

Need I say more?

Goatman said:
theiftaker said:
Goatman that Logo is the dogs proverbials, much better than that broken swastika
Yeah, I thought so too....might see if I can get some tee-shirts sorted.

Your avatar is equally a step beyond - hope it's the girlfriend :-D

( sadly I suspect she's old enough to be my grand-daughter :roll: )

Lee Shaver
Here's to Wives and Girlfriends may they never meet :wink: