Olympic logo firm chosen ‘blind’

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by armchair_jihad, Jun 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Group behind Games sign was picked without first submitting designs

THE organisers of the London Olympics hired the firm that designed the much-derided logo for the 2012 Games without seeing any of its designs.

The selection committee, chaired by Lord Coe, made its decision after a competition that lasted 13 weeks but failed to ask any of the contenders to show them their proposed image.

Branding industry insiders said this weekend that the tactic of hiring consultants “blind” was considered unusual and risky on a contract as valuable as the Olympic branding.

“It surprises me that on a brief this big the contenders were not asked to render their ideas before the contract was awarded,” said Paul Owen, creative director of Heavenly, a rival London brand agency. “The way the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games have run the competition is not standard practice.”

In full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/london_2012/article1909770.ece

Are they selecting the venue Architects the same way? This really does not bode well.

No doubt they will be moved to Defence procurement forthwith.

2. Moved to? You mean we don't already do it this way?

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I'm so sorry - I read that as

' Olympic Logo Chosen By Blind Man '....must get some slower specs....

As people who are following Sgt Mick Brennan's bid to become a member of the British Paralympic squad will know from the Arrse thread here, there is already a perfectly good logo they could default to at the drop of hat;

[​IMG]

Le Chevre

4. “It surprises me that on a brief this big the contenders were not asked to render their ideas before the contract was awarded,” said Paul Owen, creative director of Heavenly, a rival London brand agency. “The way the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games have run the competition is not standard practice.”

It brings to mind the quote attributed to Sir Alec Issigonis, designer of the Mini: 'A camel is a horse designed by committee'.

Maybe Tessa Jowell buys £50 rather than £250 handbags. :)

5. Goatman that Logo is the dogs proverbials, much better than that broken swastika

6. What's the betting that the CEO of the design agency has mates in the government?

7. What a nasty cynical chap you are AM. And you're probably right.

Bodes well for 2012, doesn't it............on top of escalating costs, and I heard yesterday that we may have to hire in foreign fuzzas we don't have enough of our own trained in firearms to police the event.

I think Paris won the bidding contest after all........

8. Indeed, the following from the Sunday Telegraph:

9. I am positive this government dont have enough hands, or pockets to go around.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, I thought so too....might see if I can get some tee-shirts sorted.

Your avatar is equally a step beyond - hope it's the girlfriend :-D

( sadly I suspect she's old enough to be my grand-daughter :roll: )

Lee Shaver

11. I'm loving that Paralympics logo...G_Man

A sence of strength and you know by the lion it's British...
    Much more in keeping than that drivel chosen, Seb Coe needs a kicking. God i've seen better
    graffiti than that down town..FFS.. :roll:

12. One of the panel on last week's Question Time summed it up nicely when she said of the olympic project "It has the whif of catastrophe about it". I can see three possibilities:-

1 IOC passes a vote of no confidence in Seb & Co and offers the games to another country.
    2 We end up paying armies of Polish builders 100 quid an hour to get the venues finished in time.
    3 The venues aren't finished and the games are held in school sports grounds and municipal swimming pools.

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The reason why these blind chaps got the job is not because of any competitive tendering (as should have happened), or because they were good at what they did, but because they were and are Labliar stooges.

Cronyism to the max.

14. I understand the cynisim but isn't Lord Coe a dyed in the wool Tory? Doesn't detract from the fact that I could have done better if I had squirted ink up my arse and waited on a good fart!

15. We all may laugh... :lol:

But A_M,
    Your pretty much on the money, judging by the "New Wembley"
    Fiasco a few months ago.
    We as a nation in the past have spawned great Builders and Industrialists
    The likes of Isembard Kingdom Brunnel...Would turn in his grave at our
    lack of building drive and finesse... :roll:

PS..A ton for the polish... :roll:
    More like what the chinese cockle pickers were paid... :wink: