• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Olympic judo, scoring.

So they've done away with Kokas this year; what's the opinion of ARRSERs then?

I think it must be very hard on the players as most of the matches are now 8 mins long! As the day goes on It must really take it out of them.

For the casual viewer, groundwork doesn't hold enough interest. It's not 'dynamic' enough. The problem is though, however good the players are, it's all grip fighting and very little in the way of attempted throws. Because they are able to neutralise each other's technique and attacks it just looks like 6 year old white belts fighting.

Spent Monday afternoon at the Olympic Judo - very impressive. Enjoyed watching it hugely, three and a half hours just flew past. I felt for that French bronze medallist, I thought she was going to take the eventual Gold medallist.

I see what you mean about the ne waza; but there was some blindingly good ground work in the final, and the semifinal between Elmont and Nakaya had a chunk of it too (Elmont had to make a couple of huge efforts to break holds, he must have been knackered by it because he got taken down in the bronze medal match).

The kids were disappointed because they didn't get to see their clubmate competing in the women's -57kg. Then they heard about Euan Burton today, glum. Otherwise, they enjoyed it hugely, I was having a fun prediction competition with firstborn ("I reckon blue will take this, what do you think?")

Well, decided to watch a bit of blokes Judo on't telly this morning.

I am dissapoint, lots of slow motion wrestling and hugging, very little aggression. To be honest, I've seen two kids haveing a pulling and dragging playground fight show more dynamism.

I am dissapoint, lots of slow motion wrestling and hugging, very little aggression. To be honest, I've seen two kids haveing a pulling and dragging playground fight show more dynamism.
It's a strange sport - seems determined to emasculate itself and take all of the martial stuff out of it. Hence they removed the striking and increased the length of time someone must be held on the floor, and that's why you're allowed to just curl into a ball if you find yourself on the floor.

C

CivPlod

I have to echo adouglasmhor above, too little ne-waza now they have tried to make it "dynamic". The leg grab
Rule has ruined it as well(reportedly to bring Japanese judo back to the fore???).
The womens game is far better, men's seems a little to tactical, with very few getting thrown for 10.
Better off watching club judo rather than the men's.

The heavier categories are slower and more technical; you try weighing just under 100kg and trying to control someone of the same weight( within the rules of judo!).

That's now two matches on the trot I've watched where the players were penalised for passivity.
Not something I would expect from what are nominally the best of Judoists.

ETA: Meh! They seem more interested in not losing a bout than winning it.
All a bit dull - back to the beach volleyball.

It's a strange sport - seems determined to emasculate itself and take all of the martial stuff out of it. Hence they removed the striking and increased the length of time someone must be held on the floor, and that's why you're allowed to just curl into a ball if you find yourself on the floor.
Striking?? And when I did it it use to be 30 second holds and not scored at 15 and 25.

I gave judo a whirl as a kid, more so to prevent me being arrested for being a junior criminal, rather than aspiring to be a grappling God.

My overriding memory was of chunky men & women with gopping foot hygiene. Thanks to those soap dodging homos, I jacked the sport in and was duly arrested for trespassing on British Rail property a few weeks later.

Next week, tune in for my dit about not being a footballer and being prosecuted for male rape.

Latest Threads