Olympic infringement law

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by ugly, May 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Can any arsser explain what punishments can be meted out for pointing out what a bag of piss this law; London Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Act 2006, London Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Act 2006
    by putting up websites encouraging the taking off the piss of Lord Smug **** Coe?
    just curious because someone has already started allegedly;
    Summer Games - Welcome to the Summer of Games
    Especially schedule 4 apparntly protects certain words from use which are in common use already and I'm sure they cant bully their way through the country at will.

2. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

My understanding was that rather then being about piss taking, it was effectively copyrighting the 'London 2012' brand.
    The logic being that since we've outsourced so much of the games, there had to be financial incentives to the private sector.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not in dispute with that, I'm all for pointing out how silly it is to ban cafes from selling olympic breakfasts, schools advertising summer games etc.

4. I notice the first schedule deals with pensions and reimbursments.

Why laws are enacted to protect the rights of a profit making private organisation is beyond me.

Where would I stand as regards the group I want to start

'The Londinium Olympus engine society, dedicated to the Rolls Royce Olympus engine, it was quite possibly said of four Vulcan bombers 'Twenty twelve; there's less than twenty and more than twelve Olympus engines there.'

Some of the words they want to copyright are ludicrous, gold? Silver? Medals? 2012?

Some shops on the torch route have already been visited by trading standards.

How can you support the O*****S if you can't use anything evocative of them?

• Like Like x 1
  5. You can't, they can (unless you pay a fee).

Chase the money, Rodders, cherchez l'argent.

6. You have to be advertising something, and falsely suggesting that it is officially connected to the London Olympiad Twenty Twelve (or whatever combination) to fall foul of the law. Advertising Summer Games, which are games that take place in the summer, and emphasising that they are not connected with London Two Thousand and Twelve could not possibly be misconstrued, even by the dullest of coppers, unless they were being wilfully stupid.

7. Sched 1, para1, (1) ...likely to suggest. That is nowhere near the same as 'falsely' suggesting, a lingerie shop up north has had a visit already. Most acts are open to interpretation, it is how legal types make (more) money.

If you run a DIY shop selling aluminium nuts and BOLTS anodised in GOLD, SILVER, and BRONZE, available in sizes 20-12mm, as used in bikes that won MEDALS in last SUMMER's LONDON bike show, which we were proud to SPONSOR. You might consider shutting up shop for a couple of weeks.

Of course this will stop naughty people selling stuff down the market, along with Cartiar watches and SOMY tvs.

Edited to add, how are you going to emphasize that your advert has nothing to do with the OLYMPICS? As dear Oscar would have said;

'The puff that dare not speak it's name.'

8. Careful; The Great Seb is watching you, and he knows where your house is.

• Like Like x 1
  9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Gives a new meaning to the phrase 'sebaceous cyst'.

10. Hopefully the grinning little prick's in the stadium when some Arab detonates a dirty bomb.

11. ******* olympics, weve already spent millions on a massive building for some ***** to cycle/run/**** about it. Its all bollocks and I for one would be happy if terrorist did make an attack and wiped out the whole olympic commitee. Then, I may give a shit about what these highly paid twats want.

12. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I can't find a link, but I heard on the radio t'other day that a local drama gang wanted to do a play about the Olympics. Big Coe kicked it into touch, so now the play is called "Oplymics" or some other such anagram.

13. Hoy a disclaimer in.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'd call it Coe is a **** and watch the crowds roll in!

15. What a copper being wilfully stupid, that could never happen.

• Like Like x 1