Olympic advice

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by syledis, Jul 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone from London please give me some advice on going to an Olympic event at the Aquatic centre in Stratford, such as:

Is it realistic to get a hotel in Central London and travel from there

If we stay in Stratford is there much to do there

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

2. PM incoming.

3. It doesn't really matter where in London you stay, buy yourself an Oyster card and you can go anywhere. It's London, there's tons of stuff to do, there's just the problem that several millions other will have the same idea. Leave plenty of time is my best suggestion, I'm avoiding the place for the duration.

4. Hotels in London have been booked up for months, you might be able to get one on the last minute.com sites. Travel as already said, get an Oyster card, either load up with cash or travelcards, plus you'll get discounts on the boats as well to get you back into the centre if you don't fancy the Tube/DLR. Not too much to do in Stratford, but it's only 25 mins away from the West End on the Jubilee Line.

5. Stay home, watch it on Tv.

6. Cheers all

Its the paralympic event so hopefully wont be quite as busy

7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Don't stay in Stratford or London. Head out into the wilds of Essex - Chelmsford, Billericay or Colchester . The main line goes straight to Stratford, it'll be a damn sight cheaper and easier to get to.

8. If you're in the Armed Forces you can now travel anywhere in the TfL area for free with a MOD90, I've been doing it for day's.

9. Sadly mi a long time out so not an option for free travel but thanks anyway. Thye will be arriving in Euston so im trying to make it as easy as possible for them all.

10. Attached Files:

11. Despite what people say the transport system in London & the surrounding areas is one of the best in the world.. busy at times yes, a lil grubby.. deffo.. but it does its job well.I would,nt stay in central London as its furiously expensive. Best bet is to look around in the commuter belts in Essex or Kent.

LT.

12. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

You must be joking. The London underground, despite being the worlds oldest metropolitan underground system, is also the least reliable in terms of delays. For all I know, its probably the most expensive too.

13. But be careful as people are jumping on the Olympic bandwagon and shoving prices up - even further out. I wanted to rent 2 cottages in Herts, the week coincided with the Olympics, and they doubled the price saying oh but the Olympics are on. So I said no only to be offered a reduction. I took one and am therefore paying less than the original quote. Bit of a squeeze but kids won't mind. Be interesting to see if they have let out the other one.

14. Stay at the Union Jack Club, get an Oyster card, read Time Out and the Standard. Enjoy your self. More to do than you could fit in a life time.

CrabfatBill

15. I use it almost daily, no severe problems, I'd say I had greater delays on the roads. As for it being the most expensive, fares are capped so there's a maximum price you will pay and you don't really have an alternative, if the Paris metro is cheaper it doesn't really help