Olly Reed on top form circa 1991

Oliver Reed brighting up an otherwise boring evening

Classic quotes ''someone who knows no ill comes to a palais de dance dances around the place clicks his heels in the air cos he is celt why should he go down and hug and forgive himself forbeing a better dancer'

around 12mins olly pointing to bottle 'whats that?' keith simpson 'water' makes grimacing face 'eh? no' tips entire contents of spirit bottle into glass.

29mins olly slides over back of chair and gives up tight lezzer a kiss
IIRC after this he proceeded to bang around the drinks table and went off air for 10 mins 'due to unforseen technical problems'

Oliver Reed has been banned from every pub in town (Dorking), most notably the Bull's Head where he climbed the chimney naked shouting "Ho! Ho! Ho! I'm Santa Claus!".

The Knowhere Guide: Local Heroes in Dorking (excerpt)
URL: http://www.knowhere.co.uk/3173_heroes.html

RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZaHRJXPFG4&mode=related&search=

top fella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!why chat shows had him on fcuk knows but i,m glad they did!!!!! :numberone:

Olly was the (un)official mascot of HMS Leeds Castle. When asked in his life story "Reed All About Me" if he would ever give up drinking, he replied "I'd rather die!"

Games ensued (which spread to civvy and squaddy alike). As you stand at the bar, happily drinking your LA lager tops someone would holler "OLIVER REED" At which point you had to drain your glass in one - pints, shots, whatever. Glasses were then slammed down as hard as possible. This was all designed as a 'training exercise' - just in case Olly had walked in and was gonna nick your sticky

Great fun in Wimbledon (one of Olly's old haunts) - not so much fun under the withering glare of new in-laws after the grooms speach

Funny thing is he could actually be quite articulate and sensitive as well as a complete pisshead :)

In the last war, Broome Hall was one of those hush-hush places taken over by the Canadians. The Sherwood Foresters, stationed at nearby Leith Hill, had great fun firing at its tall chimneys to make the soot fall down on our Commonwealth Cousins inside. You can still see the bullet holes in the chimneys and you can still see Cookies Wall, the parapet of the bridge that spanned the stream. It was being damaged by the large modern tractors that work the farm so I placed it beneath the flagpole as a monument. I call it Cookies Wall because the names of those long-way-away-from-home soldiers decorate it. The most prominent name is COOK, J. R. 1940. Every Poppy Day, I salute the Canadians and pour a bottle of whisky over the stone. If any of them remember the wall where they carved their initials and hearts, and maybe made love, I still salute them and ask them to share my whisky if ever they pass by.
20 Jun 2004 Andy Rollings

Basically Ollie was a good guy. When he passed away, I had just written to him in the hope that he could open a bar for me in Lincoln...and be part of a reunion...well that was never to be. What follows is a few of the tales I can remember...one day the guys, including my dad and Ollie, went to a bar they frequented in London. Unfortunately the American air force had already arrived and aquired most of the ladies there! Ollie wasn't to be beaten...he formed everyone in the unit into a line, marched across the dance floor, and swept each and every girl off their feet, much to the annoyance of the USAF! Apparently there was much arm wrestling in the barrack rooms. In fact Ollie would take on anyone arm wrestling or just plain WWF style! (All in good humour of course!) There was another side to him though. My dad struggled with "drill" when he first entered service. Ollie had noticed that he had been in trouble a few times for getting it wrong and made it his personal crusade to teach the drill to my dad (all in his own spare time). Always looking out for the under dog, always on the side of the guys in the barrack, Ollie was, by all tributes, an amazing guy and much more than the drunken image he is often associated with. Even in those days he would create situations that would leave the "establishment" looking foolish. Once while being asked to conduct drill in an important parade, he stopped in the middle of barking out a command. The regimental sergeant major (who Ollie was never keen on!) was not best pleased and asked him what the problem was. A smirk spread across his face and he replied "I have forgotten the words of command sir!" Of course he hadn't! My dad never forgot that smirk which grew with each footstep as Ollie was sent back to barracks for his "absent mindedness!".

These are the stories I can recall. If my dad knows any more, I will mail them to you at a later date.
From http://www.syby.demon.co.uk/OR/Trivia/index.html

armies said:
Imagine going on a weekend bender with Oliver Reed and George Best!
They're probably arguing right now upstairs on who's round it is... :thumright:

God Bless both of them...You simply don't get "Hellraisers" like that anymore.

RIP....Fellas.

armies said:
Imagine going on a weekend bender with Oliver Reed and George Best!
When Besty pegged it, we decided that Olly and Richard Burton were at the bar waiting for Besty to get a round in

I went to Malta last year and was lurking around Valetta and came across a bar with a plaque on the wall saying that Olly Reed died in there! Apparently it was his watering hole when he was filming Gladiator.

jack-daniels said:
I went to Malta last year and was lurking around Valetta and came across a bar with a plaque on the wall saying that Olly Reed died in there! Apparently it was his watering hole when he was filming Gladiator.
That's absolutely true. He hadn't finished shooting all of his scenes either. They managed to cobble together enough of what he had shot to make his appearances coherent but if you watch the film again anytime you'll notice he isn't in it much after the halfway point.

IIRC it was HMS Cumberland?! He was drinking like 10 men and 'fell asleep'.
He died as he lived, pissed in a bar full of nobodies!

what a hero!

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, what do you expect from an RAMC Corporal??

He was a great bloke!

Glesga_short_bloke said:

what a hero!
In my recollection he was drinking merrily and it might have been with the crew of HMS Cumberland but then he suffered a massive coronary and dropped like a stone.

I'll go get a link if I can.

Slightly off thread but whilst watching "Wild Geese" recently, got to wondering what sort of off set pissups occured with Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Frank Finlay (let alone other members of the cast).

WasMe said:
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, what do you expect from an RAMC Corporal??

He was a great bloke!
He was NS. He was educated privately and could have taken a commission, despite dyslexia.

Glesga_short_bloke said:

what a hero!
I wasn't wrong. Wiki gives the end as this: He died suddenly from a heart attack during a break from filming Gladiator in Valletta, Malta, reportedly after drinking three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaican rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whisky, and beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm wrestling at a bar called "The Pub." (The owners have since added "Ollie's Last Pub" to the sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Reed

rebel_with_a_cause said:
Slightly off thread but whilst watching "Wild Geese" recently, got to wondering what sort of off set pissups occured with Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Frank Finlay (let alone other members of the cast).
Apparantly those guys could put the sgts mess to shame in the way they drank and were then able to get up and start shooting during the wee small hours. Their US counterparts too, likes of Dean Martin, John Wayne, Rock Hudson. Not to mention our Ozzie hero (him of the enormous appendage) Errol Flynn.

rebel_with_a_cause said:
I read somewhere that Richard Burton was on a bit of a dry spell due to a recent heart attack so he wasn't drinking during the shoot. Richard Harris however signed a deal holding most of his pay back - which would be forfeit should he start drinking - it was the only way the filmakers could get insurance for him.

Anyhow...they are stuck in the middle of nowhere in Africa and Harris pegs it - he just had to get a drink. They found him in some out of the way Bush Doctors merrily imbibing. The next morning he apologised profusely and didn't drink for the rest of the shoot.

Boring but can you imagine some of the drinking sprees they got up to other times?

One of their drinking buddies was Anthony Hopkins - can you imagine Hannibal Lecter lagered up? :headbang: