Oldy but Goody "pluck yew"

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Trip_Wire, Jul 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Well, now......here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified.

Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory
    over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured
    English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to
    draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future.

This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant
    cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals
    fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the
    one-finger-salute! It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the
    arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as
    "giving the bird."

IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO THE FRENCH TODAY!

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing!

2. Wow. Thats definately pub ammo. Must remember that one.
    Now to find out where the two fingered salute originated.......

3. Oh please Enlighten us further. It has been a while since I was so inadequatly taught my own nations history.

4. I was always under the impression that it was the index and middle finger. Resulting in our most famous greeting[​IMG] :D :D :D :D

5. You're right, northern warrior! Trip_Wire's explanation is a boad of lollocks!

Quite apart from the fact that English longbows were originally Welsh longbows and the preferred wood came from other countries, since English wood was considered too coarse-grained for the job.

Oh, these Septics, they'll believe anything!
    Hey, Trippy, can I interest you in a bridge? :D :D :D

MsG

6. Quite right, try drawing an arrow back with just your index finger! Also pluck me that plucking yew stuff has to be plucking bollox doesn't it? Me thinks someone's been plucking with him.

7. Of course, there's also the fact that a bow (longbow, recurve or compound) is drawn with three fingers (unless you're using a release), with the arrow between the index and middle finger. This is even more important with a longbow, since it has no arrow rest on the bow and also no nocking ring on the string. [geek mode off]

I'll get my anorak!

MsG

8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Note: It wasn't "MY" Explantion! I just passed it along, as I thought it was sort of funny, especially the line about the French.

But alas, it would seem that instead of enjoying the humor, one of you thinks I'm trying to teach him his cultures history and more seem to be more interested in how many fingers, etc.

Well, so much for British humor! :roll:

BTW: Is "Septic" a discription of the stuff, that comes out of your mouth? :p

9. During A level Class Civ, I got taught that the "middle finger salute", in fact goes back to roman times, where young and unruly slaves would be restrained and anally penetrated (more for humiliation than anything else), usually by a finger.

If they misbehaved, their master might flip them the finger as short form for "Wind your neck in Lerchio, or this goes up your poop chute. Dry."

Never got a chance to use it in the exam though.

Miaow.

10. "Wind your neck in Lerchio, or this goes up your poop chute. Dry."[/qoute] - One of the funniest things I've read on here, arrows!

''Well, so much for British humor!''[/qoute] - See above.

11. BTW: Is "Septic" a discription of the stuff, that comes out of your mouth?

no that would be tommy tit.

12. Okay, here's one for ya !

The Fu.ck, where did it come from....?

In days of old when Knights & Sires could bed any single women within their domain, they still had to get permission to fornicste from their King (remember when this started our isle had several kingdoms and a king in each 'dom!).

So a sign was put up on the door of the chamber so that the padres would not disturb & grass them up (all land & monies fined from wrong-doers went to the church! --the padres were at it too then, and the priests were married!), anyway the sign said:

Fornication Under Consent of the King

Or to abbreviate........F.U.C.K.

13. Id heard,

Rapists when pilloried / hung / congratulated. Had their charges written up on a board beside their corpse.

For
    Unclean
    Carnal
    Knowledge.

F.U.C.K

fv<k

14. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

Fantastic! Remind me to use that more in conversation! That should be on the first page of Ecce Romani not disseminated during A Level! That's right up there with "Turdus Farticus" which for the benefit of those of you who went to Eton, is a stuffed thrush, a roman delicacy.

BTW, this is probably one big WAH! but a properly fletched ash shaft is done with goose pin feathers. The explanation of "giving the bird" might still hold given this, but I doubt it, sorry. :lol: