Oldthinkers unbellyfeel Nulab - doubleplusungood!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by CaptainPlume, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just re-reading 1984, specifically the appendix explaining how newspeak works, when I cam across this:

Sound familiar?

Anyway, back to the prolefeed now before thinkpol come for me and I'm sent to a joycamp for crimethink!

2. Thoughtpolice and thoughtcrime is it not

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Your crimethink is doubleplusungood, and served as prolefeed to the proletariat in a prole ungood open place. Indeed, your thought crime will have you sent to joycamp for reprogramming in plusgood thoughts and deeds.

4. If you haven't read the book (it's probably discouraged these days), you can still walt it up with this one.

Incidentally, I bet nobody can say when he last heard the term "illegal alien".

5. This legacy publication is reminiscent of the tired conservative reaction to the successful policies that Gordon has implemented. Violent crime down. Jobs up. 1.5 million hard-working families lifted out of poverty. The government has drawn up an action plan to enable the participation of disadvantaged stakeholders in the "New Britain, together" project, which looks to reach out to those minorities whose government needs are not currently met by their policy enablers.

6. The problem with the internet, is that it's impossible to tell when someone has a straight face...

7. *snigger* Please illuminate me oh great one. Endow me with thy knowledge! :D

8. There's more:

Scary!

9. I can't be arrsed finding my copy of 1984 at the moment, but does it not also go on to say that one of the purposes of newspeak is to eliminate the possibility of ideological opposition by removing the language necessary to express a contrary opinion?

We're not there, not just yet. Although, if I were cynical, I might point at the Government's apparent indifference to falling literacy rates...

10. Usmarox-

Yes, completely! That's the point of my two posts. Indeed the aim is to make even thinking something unorthodox impossible.

I may be being a bit tongue-in-cheek, but Whiskeybreath's link above goes into how all sorts of organisations have been bringing in their own versions of newspeak, although most do it by increasing rather than decreasing the language...

11. I don't want to derail this thread, but the newspeakdictionary had one old word/new word that I thought was brilliant:

Wife/Girlfriend: Unpaid sex worker

12. So, we're not quite there yet. Or is this just my experience? :(

13. You can download the full-length 1954 TV version of 1984 which starred Peter Cushing from here