Oldies doin P Company!!!

I'm 34, and have applied to do P Coy summer time!!! Any thoughts or experiences on/of 'mature ' soldiers doing this course!? (Have started prepping well in advance, am expecting it to be howling!!)

BennyBlanco said:
I'm 34, and have applied to do P Coy summer time!!! Any thoughts or experiences on/of 'mature ' soldiers doing this course!? (Have started prepping well in advance, am expecting it to be howling!!)
I would be interested to hear views also..

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
A colleague of mine has recently passed AACC, and he's the same age as you. His opinion is that the young lads were hanging out just as much as he was, but their recovery time was quicker - he simply got round this by experience and good admin.

The_Duke

LE
I did it at 18, so not from personal experience but from observaton of TA recruit cadres and P Coy over nearly 20 years.

Mentally, you are likely to be more prepared and robust than a 17 1/2 year old lad. You should have the mental determination to see it through.

Physically, it will be down to speed and structural stability. The faster events are (typically) more difficult for the older recruit, but they fare better on overall endurance and stamina (closely linked to the mental strength issue). The key problem is structural stability - years of activity causes havoc on the body, and any old running, tabbing or rugby etc injuries are almost certain to come back to haunt you.

Give it a go, but pay close attention to the impact it is having on your body. I have seen dozens of people push themselves on and on until they eventually have injuries it will take them years to recover from.

Duke

S

Screw_The_Nut

34 isnt old, some olympic athletes are in their bloody 40s! 34 is the peak of endurance, so they say.

Screw_The_Nut said:
34 isnt old, some olympic athletes are in their bloody 40s! 34 is the peak of endurance, so they say.
For endurance sports/activities 30-35 tops what your body can offer when younger. You lose a little in other areas... but still competitive.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
4 Para state they recruit up to 43 with previous Mil exp
Does this mean you have to have done P Coy previously as part of your Mil Exp or can you do it up to 43?

H Jones V.C. transferred to the Paras from the D & D's when he was 39 I assume he then had to do it

Anyone know S_T_G he'll have all the answers

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
I know a former WO1 (Now a Major - hello there, Chelsea!) who did it in his early '40s, and he sailed through. That was about 10 years ago, perhaps elfinsafety have caught up with it since then?

You just have to look at the likes of Paddy Doyle and the unbelievable things he does endurance wise...

The_Duke

LE
the_boy_syrup said:
4 Para state they recruit up to 43 with previous Mil exp
Does this mean you have to have done P Coy previously as part of your Mil Exp or can you do it up to 43?

H Jones V.C. transferred to the Paras from the D & D's when he was 39 I assume he then had to do it

Anyone know S_T_G he'll have all the answers
4 Para will accept applicants up to the age of 43 with previous mil experience. Having already passed P Coy is definately an advantage, though not an absolute requirement.

Gundulph said:
You just have to look at the likes of Paddy Doyle and the unbelievable things he does endurance wise...
I can't describe Paddy. He is just utterly Nails. Watching him crank out Pressups on the PFT was outrageous , we just used to stop our pathetic attempts in the 40-50 range to watch him go through 100 with ease and keep cranking.

Scary man, nails as a nails thing.

The_Duke will put me straight, but I heard a 4 Para recruit of 42 had a heart attack last year on the log run. There are plenty of people on my recruit cadre who are mid 30's, slower on the 1.5 miles but solid tabbers.

The_Duke

LE
smith123 said:
The_Duke will put me straight, but I heard a 4 Para recruit of 42 had a heart attack last year on the log run. There are plenty of people on my recruit cadre who are mid 30's, slower on the 1.5 miles but solid tabbers.
I am not aware of him, but he could well be from one of the other companies. That said, it is not unknown for soldiers of any age to end up in the MRS if they over do it.

I have seen several recruits on the last 2 cadres from my location in the late 30s/early 40s - none have been sucessful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C REME 16
essexbob The NAAFI Bar 27
MrPVRd Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2