Oldies doin P Company!!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BennyBlanco, Mar 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm 34, and have applied to do P Coy summer time!!! Any thoughts or experiences on/of 'mature ' soldiers doing this course!? (Have started prepping well in advance, am expecting it to be howling!!)

2. passed it when i was 28 and i wasn`t the oldest on my course

3. I would be interested to hear views also..

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

A colleague of mine has recently passed AACC, and he's the same age as you. His opinion is that the young lads were hanging out just as much as he was, but their recovery time was quicker - he simply got round this by experience and good admin.

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I did it at 18, so not from personal experience but from observaton of TA recruit cadres and P Coy over nearly 20 years.

Mentally, you are likely to be more prepared and robust than a 17 1/2 year old lad. You should have the mental determination to see it through.

Physically, it will be down to speed and structural stability. The faster events are (typically) more difficult for the older recruit, but they fare better on overall endurance and stamina (closely linked to the mental strength issue). The key problem is structural stability - years of activity causes havoc on the body, and any old running, tabbing or rugby etc injuries are almost certain to come back to haunt you.

Give it a go, but pay close attention to the impact it is having on your body. I have seen dozens of people push themselves on and on until they eventually have injuries it will take them years to recover from.

Duke

6. 34 isnt old, some olympic athletes are in their bloody 40s! 34 is the peak of endurance, so they say.

7. WO1 I know of did it about a year ago.

8. For endurance sports/activities 30-35 tops what your body can offer when younger. You lose a little in other areas... but still competitive.

9. A former CO of the Life Guards passed aged 38. That was about 20 years ago.

10. Is the upper age limit not 35?

11. I hope not, i'm hoping to get on the course in August and i'll be nearly 37 then.

12. I may well be wrong, just seemed to spring back to memory. I have not got access here to the correct documents in order to validate that.

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

4 Para state they recruit up to 43 with previous Mil exp
    Does this mean you have to have done P Coy previously as part of your Mil Exp or can you do it up to 43?

H Jones V.C. transferred to the Paras from the D & D's when he was 39 I assume he then had to do it

Anyone know S_T_G he'll have all the answers

14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I know a former WO1 (Now a Major - hello there, Chelsea!) who did it in his early '40s, and he sailed through. That was about 10 years ago, perhaps elfinsafety have caught up with it since then?

15. You just have to look at the likes of Paddy Doyle and the unbelievable things he does endurance wise...