Oldest veteran of WWI reaches 112

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Psypher, Jun 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7439117.stm

He has joked that the secret to his longevity is "cigarettes, whisky and wild women". Good advice sir! :D
  2. Well done Sir.

Have a great birthday and many happy returns.

3. Heres a thought for you - on the 64th aniversary of D-Day, lets not forget that this chap turned 48 on 6/6/44!
  4. Absolutely brilliant! Hope he has a great day.
  5. MAny happy returns, Sir.
  6. Congratulations Sir.
  7. I saw Mr Allingham and his family yesterday at Coningsby and watched whilst he gave a spirited interview next to a Spitfire in the BBMF hangar. Amazing gentleman whose sense of humour and love of life remains evident!

Someone pointed out another elderly chap to me and remarked that that was Henry's grandson!!!!

Many happy returns and let's hope for many more!!

Regards and respect,
  8. Congratulations and many happy returns, sir. Needless to say I'll be taking your advice on healthy living!
  9. My bold. Do we as a country hold our veterans in such disregard that we're not sure how many there are?

Sorry to sour an otherwise very uplifting and inspiring thread. Many happy returns sir.
  10. many happy returns to you sir
  11. Happy Birthday.
  12. There are 3 Henry,Harry Patch,army,109 and Bill Stone, RN stoker,107.Henry is the last remaining survivour of the Battle of Jutland when he was in the RNAS.
  13. Happy Birthday and many happy returns!!

It's so nice to see that the RAF are giving something back too with the Battle of Britain tribute.
  14. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Who cares how long you live. Its the quality not the quantity (thats just a bonus). And how dull would life be with any two of the above?

Happy Birthday to you sir. It is both amazing and intimidating to realize that you have lived in three diffent centuries.
  15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Happy Birthday Sir.
    Sharing my own Birthday with a gent like this chap makes me very happy!