Oldest Soldier In Helmand?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by jack-daniels, Mar 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst reading through the MoD release of Pte Prior 2 Para I cam across this piece by L/Cpl Chris Willmott who said he served with Daniels Uncle in the late 70's:

Lance Corporal Chris Wilmott, 10 Platoon, D Company, 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, said:

"It was a great honour for me to serve with Dan Prior especially after serving with his uncle Steve Prior who was my section commander in the late seventies. He was tragically killed in the Falklands war of 1982 at the age of 27 while trying to save the life of a colleague at Goose Green.

Blimey! Fair play to the bloke if he's out there still doing it but how old is the bloke?

Full MoD release:

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Military Operations | Private Daniel Prior dies of wounds sustained in Afghanistan

2. Wasn't there a bloke on the MERT who was ex-PARA from the Falklands recently?

We had a pilot who served in the South Atlantic, he served in Helmand at the age of 55 flying AH.

3. My Pl Sjt is going to deploy in role for H 16 having been a Mne in 40 Cdo in the falklands in '82, 47 years old and still fitter than most of the blokes

4. I served on H4 on a Musa Qaleh operation with a bloke who served in the Falklands and was the recipient of both the MC & CGC, he was HCR (Flynn).

5. Bear in mind he's not necessarily a Regular hence why he could be older.

edit; fuck me he is old I've just looked him up. Fair play to him. Bet he's full of Falklands stories for the lads

6. The Australian army has pretty lenient age restrictions. Regs to 60, Reserves to 65.

I knew a guy who had been in Vietnam as a national serviceman driving a 113 APC. Ran over a mine somewhere and had his APC wrecked around him.

He then took up a civi career, and got involved in the reserves.

As a 62 year old Major he deployed to Afghanistan, having gone back onto full time service. Tough bastard as well.

7. Is it right that the Canucks are full of old gits. Up to 65?

8. Tropper will be along soon to tell us how he was the oldest Hoplite at Thermopylae...

9. Welsh guards had three Galahad survivors in Hellmand, but Sgt maj Williams was 54 at the time

And I was only a young sprog when me and my mate Leonidas, had that disagreement with Xerxes the only reason I survived was I got conned into taking that blind cnut Aristodemus back to the echelon,

10. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Mick Flynn is out there again at the moment with the HCR. Had a pint with him on R and R the other week. Still mixing it up.

11. You could have served in the Falklands if you joined up at late as 1980 but Chris Willmott had Steve Prior as his Sect Commander in the late 70's which must mean he joined 77ish I reckon.

12. Not quite Ritch, you may be confusing Canucks with TA RLC.

13. I know of Andy Wright who was 17/21 Lancers and in the GCH in 1976, and he is still serving with the Canadian Army, he has to be very close to 60 now

14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And still only a Lance Comical; how did he get past the culls of the 80s, 90s, 00s?

15. He'll be 4 PARA attached to 2 PARA