Oldest piece of equipment STILL in service....................

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by top_soldier, Aug 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought it might be fun to find out what the oldest hand me down was.........
    at a time of austerity......

Lets start with the 432 (sorry - BULLDOG) - entered service in the 1960's??
  2. Well the bullpup rifle concept was developed immediately after WW2 and the early 50s prototypes look very similar to the the rifle we use to day. Is anyone surprised that SA80 is really a 60yr old design?

I've also heard that the 30mm rarden was adopted from an AA gun first used on WW1 battleships - again, once you've used it not that hard to credit.
  3. M2HB .50 Browning in use since 1921 with minor improvements. Had one made by Kelsey Hayes wheel corp in 1942.
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I found a bottle of salt pills dated 1943 and they are probably still in the stores. the cannabis tincture was however removed.

the american water boilers are probably from that era, I was told they were ww2 but never looked for a date stamp.

some of the blankets in the stores at wretham are probably pre boer war.
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster still flying in the RAF.
    Bedford MK entered service in 1970's still kicking about and have parts on designed in 1920's.
    RAF Tornado first flew in 1979 as did some of the Hawks in service.
    Some of the GPMG's must be quite old also
  6. 16 line ULS - Field telephone exchange - god knows when it was made but still in operation, in Jordan next door to my BOWMAN Smart Board and data terminal. Excellent bit of kit.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. My mess tins are dated 1943 and were brand new and still sealed in the greaseproof paper when i was issued them. How theyve managed to kick around a store for nigh on 70 years without being used i'll never know
    • Like Like x 2
  8. A mate was issued a 1944 Baby Viper in 1989. It detonated when they tried to fire the rocket...
  9. I give you... HMS Victory.

Laid down in 1759 and still the flagship of the Second Sea Lord :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Landrovers have been kicking round in one form or the other since the 50's
  11. Make some nice firewood, does Cameron know of this floating money spinner?
  12. Don't wreck it, it won't be too long before that's the only dinghy the Navy will have left
  13. My Cent bridgelayer was made in 1949, but I don't know if it is still in service. I was issued a jack knife that had 1943 stamped on it and a whistle (Acme Thunderer) which I still have and which is dated 1944. It still blows like a Bangkok hooker.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. What and it survived over a decade of Labour rule because they get wet at the thought of the Royal Navy?
  15. If we have any problems we can just borrow something from Cunard. The emperor Mong said we've nothing to fear and nowt will go wrong.
    • Like Like x 1