Oldest piece of equipment STILL in service....................

Thought it might be fun to find out what the oldest hand me down was.........
at a time of austerity......

Lets start with the 432 (sorry - BULLDOG) - entered service in the 1960's??

Well the bullpup rifle concept was developed immediately after WW2 and the early 50s prototypes look very similar to the the rifle we use to day. Is anyone surprised that SA80 is really a 60yr old design?

I've also heard that the 30mm rarden was adopted from an AA gun first used on WW1 battleships - again, once you've used it not that hard to credit.

M2HB .50 Browning in use since 1921 with minor improvements. Had one made by Kelsey Hayes wheel corp in 1942.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I found a bottle of salt pills dated 1943 and they are probably still in the stores. the cannabis tincture was however removed.

the american water boilers are probably from that era, I was told they were ww2 but never looked for a date stamp.

some of the blankets in the stores at wretham are probably pre boer war.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster still flying in the RAF.
Bedford MK entered service in 1970's still kicking about and have parts on designed in 1920's.
RAF Tornado first flew in 1979 as did some of the Hawks in service.
Some of the GPMG's must be quite old also

16 line ULS - Field telephone exchange - god knows when it was made but still in operation, in Jordan next door to my BOWMAN Smart Board and data terminal. Excellent bit of kit.
GOS

My mess tins are dated 1943 and were brand new and still sealed in the greaseproof paper when i was issued them. How theyve managed to kick around a store for nigh on 70 years without being used i'll never know

M

Mark The Convict

A mate was issued a 1944 Baby Viper in 1989. It detonated when they tried to fire the rocket...

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Landrovers have been kicking round in one form or the other since the 50's

My Cent bridgelayer was made in 1949, but I don't know if it is still in service. I was issued a jack knife that had 1943 stamped on it and a whistle (Acme Thunderer) which I still have and which is dated 1944. It still blows like a Bangkok hooker.

A mate was issued a 1944 Baby Viper in 1989. It detonated when they tried to fire the rocket...
Yep I remember that incident. Good job they fired it remotely.

Like the AVRE demolition gun, it and the ammunition it fired is so old that they only ever fired it remotely (and then very rarely). What in Gods name was the point of having it?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My Cent bridgelayer was made in 1949, but I don't know if it is still in service. I was issued a jack knife that had 1943 stamped on it and a whistle (Acme Thunderer) which I still have and which is dated 1944. It still blows like a Bangkok hooker.
I've a nice whistle. ImageUploadedByARRSE1312416918.429161.jpg

M

Mark The Convict

Yep I remember that incident. Good job they fired it remotely.

Like the AVRE demolition gun, it and the ammunition it fired is so old that they only ever fired it remotely (and then very rarely). What in Gods name was the point of having it?
They didn't have it for much longer. IIRC, that was the latest and last of several such incidents. The remaining stock was taken out of service and destroyed shortly afterwards.