Oldest Kit still in general use....

@ugly, as @bobthebuilder and @bob_the_bomb have pointed out, the mighty sexpest is sapper powered although rumours persist of an outboard being available.

Being sapper powered it is the cause of most the H+S friction on site as it's natural habitat is generally bobbing aimlessly in circles nowhere near where it's supposed to be due to lack of rowing skill or at the mercy of the mildest breeze, causing the Water Safety Officer to have the vapours, expressed though the medium of their barely functioning 60s era megaphone. The slightest of currents observed on a recce tells the experienced eye a Mk6 with OBM is the way to go.

The sexpest is still classed today as a safety craft, crew 2, swimmers 3(!) in a truly epic triumph of optimism over decades of experience. The swimmers are to hold on to the line around the back while our heroic safety crew strike out for shore with great gusto or just bob there with their newly acquired sea anchor as they couldn't even move the craft with anything approaching skill just the two of them in it.

@ugly, as @bobthebuilder and @bob_the_bomb have pointed out, the mighty sexpest is sapper powered although rumours persist of an outboard being available.

Being sapper powered it is the cause of most the H+S friction on site as it's natural habitat is generally bobbing aimlessly in circles nowhere near where it's supposed to be due to lack of rowing skill or at the mercy of the mildest breeze, causing the Water Safety Officer to have the vapours, expressed though the medium of their barely functioning 60s era megaphone. The slightest of currents observed on a recce tells the experienced eye a Mk6 with OBM is the way to go.

The sexpest is still classed today as a safety craft, crew 2, swimmers 3(!) in a truly epic triumph of optimism over decades of experience. The swimmers are to hold on to the line around the back while our heroic safety crew strike out for shore with great gusto or just bob there with their newly acquired sea anchor as they couldn't even move the craft with anything approaching skill just the two of them in it.
Excellent post :)

What do you mean by lack of rowing skill. Surely half an hour on Hawley Lake is enough to produce a master mariner?

What do you mean by lack of rowing skill. Surely half an hour on Hawley Lake is enough to produce a master mariner?
Mariner implies sea. I think the term you're seeking is Master Boater.

Mariner implies sea. I think the term you're seeking is Master Boater.
But as there’s a lighthouse on Hawley Lake it must be the sea?

I once pulled in the Crown and Cushion on the basis of being a lighthouse painter. Spam some dits about painting lighthouses offshore in huge storms hanging from a helicopter. Sealed the deal because I was staying locally to paint the Hawley Lake lighthouse. So it must be there....

Blondes. Now they’ve been in service for a very long time.

In 1980 my incoming Regimental Signals Sergeant was perplexed when I told him I wouldn't be attending a two week exercise around Regensburg. He thought I'd stop the middle third of my 14 week Linguist course at Mühlheim for him. I suggested he ask the CO.

He made a compromise. A troop from A Sqn would be joining the exercise from Paderborn after returning from Med Man with their Battlegroup. I would return from Mühlheim, grab kit and join them on a train south.

I had a couple of hours window to turn around. No time to pack or wash and dry clothes, so I packed my Drawers, Dracula and essentially only wore issue kit for the second week of the exercise. They didn't really need me. New RSS just wanted to throw his weight around. Handful of radio stags, get p¡ssed. Exercise ends.
Middle third of 14??.

Alas, past experience indicates otherwise.

Extra points to the Sapper who loses it due to unhelpful 'encouraging comments' and sets about the 'Safety Boat Crewman' with an oar, maybe even managing, inadvertently, to inflate one or both of the RELJs all the while gently drifting out of sight and earshot.

Very possibly. They were used at the Battle of Waterloo (1812 for the hard of thinking) and weren't new then.

I had the pleasure of inspecting them in the workshops in Colchester some years ago and met the last bloke who knew how to make / repair the wheels and carriages.

ETA, HMS Victory was launched in 1765 but was extensively rebuilt in 1803 and then again several years later a number of her guns were replaced.

So, a pretty close call.
HMS Victory is Trigger’s broom.

Latest Threads