Oldest Kit still in general use....

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I hear what you guys say. It looks like a Bailey, the BBC and Powys council call it a Bailey (see the link I provided). If you say it isn't a Bailey, I have no reason to doubt you.

Sorry to be a spotter but that’s not an HGB. The HGB is an ‘equipment’ bridge made out of prefabricated sections. It’s basically a Bailey Bridge on steroids. This one is riveted which suggests it’s been built in place.

ETA. Beaten to it by the other Bob...and the next post too!
One bridge spotter is rare, but two on a thread that wasn't about bridges

At the back of my bathroom cabinet there is a tin of issue foot powder (40+ years old). Never used it, obviously, but keep it 'just in case '.

still got mine, its a bit battered, and nearly all gone, but a good memento of my service. No NSN visible. but the letters on the front:-J.G.L.td 2oz. issued in 1972.

still got mine, its a bit battered, and nearly all gone, but a good memento of my service. No NSN visible. but the letters on the front:-J.G.L.td 2oz. issued in 1972.
Bathroom cabinets don't have NSNs

And just to finish this bridging segue...

.... If I may and for the benefit of those who may not have seen it .... the designer himself features in this ...

.... I see the son was using Meccano to develop his engineering skills .... as did I .

Last edited:
Once a Sapper........I often wonder if I’m the only person who crosses Sydney Harbour Bridge every day working out how to demolish it. I don’t fancy dangling strings of hayricks off the top cord of the bowstring.

Hayricks; another ancient piece of kit. Are they still in service???
CD14s went a while ago thank fcuk. Now replaced by a 'user filled charge'. Basically an empty plastic box with linear copper form filled with PE by the user. Same for conical charges. More flexible for the end user. A thing called 'blade' is also knocking about that is a flexible linear charge in various sizes that can be cut to length, costs a bomb though! Gash pun, sorry...

PE8 now comes packaged in a metric weight (to finally match the PAM), in a container that can be used as is or broken down in to smaller packs 'tac packs' or as slab with a clear wrapper that has markings on for easily cutting to weight required! Kids don't know they're born!

CD14s went a while ago thank fcuk. Now replaced by a 'user filled charge'. Basically an empty plastic box with linear copper form filled with PE by the user. Same for conical charges. More flexible for the end user. A thing called 'blade' is also knocking about that is a flexible linear charge in various sizes that can be cut to length, costs a bomb though! Gash pun, sorry...

PE8 now comes packaged in a metric weight (to finally match the PAM), in a container that can be used as is or broken down in to smaller packs 'tac packs' or as slab with a clear wrapper that has markings on for easily cutting to weight required! Kids don't know they're born!
What was wrong with doing calcs based on 0.23kg? Or 1.83 m pickets for that matter?

I remember when all this were fields...nurse!

Do they fill the “user filled charge” before clambering up the bowstring or do they do it when they get to the top. And do they do in the pitch dark with ice on the steel, a hemp safety rope, that rifle slung over their shoulders and an Avon inflatable bouncing around on the canal below?

Come to think of it, those demolition safety ropes must have dated back pre-war. I never quite worked out what contribution they made to safety.

Do they fill the “user filled charge” before clambering up the bowstring or do they do it when they get to the top. And do they do in the pitch dark with ice on the steel, a hemp safety rope, that rifle slung over their shoulders and an Avon inflatable bouncing around on the canal below?

Come to think of it, those demolition safety ropes must have dated back pre-war. I never quite worked out what contribution they made to safety.
Filled before the clambering and swearing starts and "Avon inflatable"? WTF! You mean the Avon sexpest, don't you?

Latest Threads