Oldest Kit still in general use....

What the oldest bit of kit you found in general use? (Not historical memorabilia, I mean general crap in everyday use)

I was shocked in Australia (in the late 80s) to find an armory full of Brens dated 1942. My Landie at the time was built in 1962 making it older (and better looking) than my wife....

Im not knocking old kit, and a lot of stuff thats now gone to the scrapyard was IMHO far better then what replaced it.

Just curious to know the experience of others......

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
RN ships still have some 1950s navigation equipment. Things like star globes, sextants and Stuarts Distance Readers. I had a 1948 1inch signal flare gun on my PLR once.

I would say the Stretcher, has not changed design since world WW1!!

Maybe the 432, over 50 years old and have had their life extended!!

GS Blankets!!

When on a Engineer Project back in 1981 I was issued a RE Blacksmiths tool kit inside some of the tongs new and still with protective pitch were 1890's dated I expect if you trawled trough some stores you will find some old gear. Just saved a 1916 dated triple snatch block from the skip and it had a 2003 dated inspection tag on it.

I think '303rifleman' wins the door prize with the 1800's blacksmith tools!!!!! That is some history there imagine the stores that tool kit has sat in......;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
mod attitudes haven't changed in 200 years does that count.

Stretchers have changed considerably, that said we did have some on Herrick 12 that were still the wooden/canvas ones.

The mess tin hasn't changed much.

In 2001 I found a 1940's field dressing in Berengaria med centre, and they wondered why I didn't believe they'd checked all their kit properly.

We used to get issued with 'emergency' ration tins that had a layer of the darkest, bitterest chocolate ever. G10 Rum must be pretty ancient because I've never come across a QM that has ever authorised its issue!
Oh and agree on the 432 Mk1 petrol panzer and the Humber Pig was a WW2 vehicle rehashed for Descant.

Perhaps the Navy can claim the oldest Ship's Crew with (IIRC) Timothy who was serving in the Crimea and only recently died, he was the ship's Giant Tortoise. I like to think if he was around today he'd be an RAF PTI, at least they'd be able to keep up with him.

Stretchers have changed considerably, that said we did have some on Herrick 12 that were still the wooden/canvas ones.

In 2001 I found a 1940's field dressing in Berengaria med centre, and they wondered why I didn't believe they'd checked all their kit properly.
I suppose the Nelson Inhaler and that mask for delivering ether as an anaesthetic (can't remember the proper name) must be pretty ancient.

Does anyone know if Aspergum is still available?

D

Davetheclown

My 432 was 1956, it was on its mark 2 stage, we said goodbye to it after spending a month getting it ready, it went on the back of a low loader, saw it again last year, it had been completely stripped out and rebuilt, and is now a Bulldog, it looked beautiful, new engine, steering.

We took the final drive of and found a spanner in there before sending it off.

In fact thinking about it one of the A Mechs had his grandads imperial spanner that was used in the second world war,

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

I used to find loads of older med kit - still perfectly usable but we did hold stuff for longer then.

when did the mess tin change from the kidney pattern?

We used to get issued with 'emergency' ration tins that had a layer of the darkest, bitterest chocolate ever. G10 Rum must be pretty ancient because I've never come across a QM that has ever authorised its issue!
What? You've never had gunfire out of a norgie after being rudely awakened by your OC/CSM?

Actually that probably wasn't rum, it usually tasted more like they'd just raided the ******* POL point...

Not as an individual item but as a design:

Hexi burner - as far as I can see dates from 1936, they were certainly issued to the Whermacht during ww2

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I would have thought the RN's 1898 or so Hotchkiss saluting guns might win this one.

And the gyro repeats I notice in news items ('HMS Massive commissions') look exactly like the ones I was used to.

A star globe for the edification of land animals:

What? You've never had gunfire out of a norgie after being rudely awakened by your OC/CSM?

Actually that probably wasn't rum, it usually tasted more like they'd just raided the ******* POL point...
Actually we were once all sent to help the QM's Dept clear out an old store. I say 'help' them, a Lance Jack showed us the store and told us the QM wanted it moved to another store next door, he then departed and we were left to get on with it. At the back of the store were 2-3 carboys with a stoppered and sealed glass neck sticking out of a wicker jacket. Our section full screw who had been with Scott identified it as G10 Rum so we accidentally knocked the top inch off the long glass neck. I say accidentally because we actually knocked most of the glass down to the wicker off because it was tougher than expected and we only had a brick found in another corner of the store to carry out the 'accident' with. As is ever the case then contents turned out to be something of a disappointment tasting much as you describe it above. Needless to say the QM went ballistic and threatened us all with the bill for his 'starred' ration rum. That is until the Corporal pointed out that we were in there unsupervised and with no idea of what any of the contents of anything was so we were hardly to balme for a 'genuine accident', case closed.