oldest (combined age) Sniper pair?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by tentoes, Jan 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok here it is,During 42 Cdo's Helo assault to a blocking position above 40 Cdo's amphibious assault on the Al Faw Peninsula, in this phaze of 42 Cdo's OP a Sniper pair deployed, made up of the Unit training SNCO (CSgt) and an RMR (Sgt/CSGT who had managed to get deployed without a line number, PID? for the non-by-lingual). The RM CSgt would have been 35 minimum and the RMR (former RM Sniper Obviously) at my reconing was a minimum of 8 years his senior!
    I'm hoping some more info will get dropped into this thread (apart from names unless you were one of the pair!) and no doubt alot of disbelief that an adhoc (combined age of 70ish) sniper team went operational!

Perks of not having a job and a big pair:thumright:

2. About 700 years for Adolphus.......

l.jpg

......with his spotter Baron Freiherr von Münchausen

• Like Like x 2
  3. The RMR guy would have been 45 iirc....

4. The French had an awesome sniper once. Topped Nelson.

5. Yeah, but Sgt Secker RM got his wallet on the way to the Orlop.:winkrazz:

6. I wasn't on TELIC but once you start asking about snipers involved in the invasion, it turns out every man and his uncle was on the 'Crane of Pain'.

7. Whatever happened to the ruling that RM SNCO's did not have to clean tunic buttons, therefore never washing off Nelsons bloood? did it just disapear with the "stay bright buttons"?

Cheers for the confirmation of age, was reading a thread in the TA section from a young lad looking for TA Snipers course and that led me to recalling this little ditty to share.

8. My Grandfather was a battalion Scout in the Yorks and Lancs at Suvla bay. Were these guys the sort of predecessors of today's British snipers?

9. Sorry Kilo42 I have no knowledge of the formation so can't help out (bound to be a spotter on here that does though!)

10. Copied this from Wiki, its a bit scarce on details. The scouts you mentioned were usually observers then became Snipers, a good book to read if you're interested is "A Rifleman went to War", written by a Canadian in WW1.

The first British sniper unit began life as Lovat Scouts, a Scottish Highland regiment that earned high praise during the Second Boer War (1899–1902). The unit was formed by Lord Lovat and reported to an American, Major Frederick Russell Burnham, the British Army Chief of Scouts under Lord Roberts. Burnham fittingly described these scouts as "half wolf and half jackrabbit.". Just like their Boer scout opponents, these scouts were well practised in the arts of marksmanship, field craft, and military tactics. They were the first known military unit to wear a ghillie suit. They were skilled woodsmen and practitioners of discretion: "He who shoots and runs away, lives to shoot another day." After the war, this regiment went on to formally become the British Army's first sniper unit, then better known as sharpshooters.

During World War I, snipers appeared as deadly sharpshooters in the trenches. At the start of the war, only Imperial Germany had troops that were issued scoped sniper rifles. Although sharpshooters existed on all sides, the Germans specially equipped some of their soldiers with scoped rifles that could pick off enemy soldiers showing their heads out of their trench. At first the French and British believed such hits to be coincidental hits, until the German scoped rifles were discovered. During World War I, the Germans received a reputation for the deadliness and efficiency of their snipers, partly because of the high-quality lenses the Germans could manufacture.

Soon the British army began to train their own snipers in specialized sniper schools. Major Hesketh Hesketh-Prichard was given formal permission to begin sniper training in 1915, and founded the First Army School of Sniping, Observation, and Scouting at Linghem in France in 1916. In 1920, he wrote his account of his war time activities in his book Sniping in France, which is still referenced by modern authors on the subject. Hesketh-Prichard developed many techniques in sniping, including the use of spotting scopes and working in pairs, and using Kim's Game to train observational skills. On the Eastern Front, Imperial Russia never introduced specialized sharpshooters or snipers, allowing the German snipers to pick off their targets without danger from counter-snipers.

11. This link mentions about a Bn parade to promote him ...which would have been to Corporal (Not L/Cpl)

Rifleman Thomas Plunkett: A Pattern for the Battalion

The Chosen man bit seems to be lost in the mists of time as it was my understanding that the white cloth tied around the arm identified a Chosen man and eventually became the lance jack stripe.

Others had said otherwise? I also believe that the Chosen man was the senior Riflemen and took over control when there were no Nco's/Officers present.

The link calls him a good soldier when sober, but of a bit of a pain when drunk

....much like the rest of us.

So, I'm not sure, is my answer to your question.

Hopefully someone on here can confirm either way?

12. Thanks for that tentoes and Timex. I have an old photo of my grandfather that he had had taken in Uniform, and written on the back in pencil is his name rank and number and the words "Battalion Scout". He came home from Gallipoli in a hospital ship, and when they carried him onto the ship the guys carrying the stretcher said to the officer with the clip board "This is the last of the mental cases sir". My grandfather protested that he was not a mental case but they took no notice and he said when they put him in a nice room with soft walls he thought bugger it, its warm and dry if they think I'm mad so be it. That night the guy they had got him mixed up with ran amok so to speak and killed a medic with a bayonet. Just a wee story one of zillions I expect, but one he told me.

13. He was promoted to Cpl apparently and sounded like a true character for sure, good info about the chosen man history. TBH I was expecting a few comments from the "Sharpes" historians to the tune of "of course he did he was a rifleman" etc.;P