Older recruits

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by N_LST, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I have had a good scout through the site but I have not seen much about people joining the army at a later stage in life, except for some bits on re-elistment, which does not apply to me.

I have a few points that I would appreciate some comments on.

I turned 31 last month and have recently started the application process (filled out on-line application, waiting for phonecall/email/letter). Has anyone here had experience with enlisting for the first time at an older than normal age? My fitness is not, in honesty, great, I am currently only capable of a few heaves and a time of about 12:30 for a mile and a half but I am active and working on that side of things and seeing rapid results. My lower back strength and leg strength is pretty good so as long as I shed a few LB's and get the time down I dont see any real problems with fitness aspect. Will I be expected to show a little more because of age? I appreciate that the army is not looking for superman and is prepared to take people on knowing they can be brought up to a good level through training, but that gets harder as you get older and I could understand them rewquiring a higher level to start with.

I am a little concerned that both at selection and basic my age might be a problem. I guess most recruits are around the 17-21 mark and looking through this site it appears that things like the icebreaker are vital to a recruits chances. Did any of the older guys find it difficult to engage well with the 'kids', people not far off a full generation younger? I'm a pretty outgoing guy who has run a business for a decade but I can see there problems with a gap in age. Are there many older guys that go through selection as a rule? meaning a chance of a few guys my age rather than a group of youngsters?

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

oh, and simply looking at infantry, Royal Reg. of Scotland of possible

Search function, use it. This question has been asked too many times! - Disco

2. Only advice that I can give is work hard on your fitness. All the best.

3. I guess you have life experience which counts for a lot in your ice breaker....my recruiter put someone through who was 30 last november. There will also be the odd 1 or 2 of similar age who are 25 or so, so just mix with them and remember to be a team player!

4. Thanks for the replies. I guess im just a little worried it will count against me. Plenty of life experiences catherine :D

5. I'm 28 in june and just started my application. So not far behind you mate.

6. Where abouts mate? Im going through (I guess) Glasgow, maybe you and I could be a father to all those young whippersnappers :D

7. I passed out training last year. There was a 32 year old, 30 and 28 for def. Our youngest was 17

8. North Wales mate.
    We surely could be dads :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.