Older cars could be charged twice as much to park

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by heard_it_all_before, Mar 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems like the Lib Dem luvvies are getting in on the Labour lead "Bash the poor" theme. Maybe they're laying the foundations for an alliance with Nu Labour...

2. Cow

Cow LE

3. Key words are "could be" on the basis of not meeting modern emissions standards. Bit of a non-story really
  4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I always love these idiots who think a 'new' car is better....I had a 1977 MG Midget its emissions were a little more than modern cars but depended how you tweaked the carbs...on the plus side it weighed less than half that of a modern car, for 45mpg and didn't have aircon/electric extra which wasted fuel. Buying my newer current car meant that I now use the same amount of fuel per mile, I'm just shifting a much bigger mass around and generated more pollutants and emissions in having the car produced than I will generate in driving it because it won't last as long a the MG did.

Nutters the lot of them.

5. I pay £190 road tax for a 10 yr old vehicle that struggles with omissions,if I buy the current model 06 onwards £405 road tax where's the logic?????
  6. The logic is any excuse to steal more money off people works for them
  7. I think cars made before 1973 exempt car tax, can't see them being to environmental.
  8. Another case of the chimps running the zoo
  9. My trusty F reg 110 is still going strong, hsa been converted to LPG and is well maintained to a high standard of emissions. It only gets used for camping trips, as we do actually walk and cycle a lot.

So this lot can fcuk off if they think i'll visit their sh1tty part of Britian if they bring such a scheme in.

If I had to buy a new car to get cheaper parking, by fcuk i'd use my car. As it happens i husband the milage quite well.
  10. My 1998 Golf TDI does 55-60mpg and passes the emissions test with flying colours every year. My mates 5 year old Focus can do 35-40 and failed the emissions on the last test. Very narrow minded to base the charges on age alone.
  11. Why s this country obsessed with making things difficult for people instead of enticing them away?

If they want people to use their cars less, how about investing in the (quite frankly) dire rail network, busses and cycle lanes? Make it cheaper and easy to move about than by car, and hey presto people will start to look at the alternaitives...

or you could hammer them for using a car, but give them no viable alternative and earn their distrust, hatred and vitrol.
  12. I think you answered your own question there Chocolate Frog
  13. And the cost plus carbon footprint of producing a new car is irrelevant then?
  14. Surely all cars generate zero emissions when parked...... :?
  15. So I wonder how it would work for my 98 A6, same engine used until 2004, yet I would have to pay more? As said above this is just someones "bump on the head" bright idea, never work, the uproar would be funny though.