old timers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ordinaryforces, Jul 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just come across this photo of a load of hard bastards, The last surviving members of Rourkes Drift, CSM Bourne centre standing, I wouldn't have looked at their pints.
    • Like Like x 12
  2. I would have, but only to see if they needed a refill.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Apparently, there were more than a few survivors of that episode that had some serious PTSD issues of consequence. Nothing new under the sun, eh?
  4. Colour Sergeant Bourne was eventually commissioned. My Gandfather met him at the Brecon depot in 1914. Of the others, Hook (who was a good soldier) became a sergeant, Hitch (who was not) vanished. One of the Williams was drowned in the R Dore and is buried in (I think) Dorstone churchyard. I've seen the grave but was dying for a pint at the time....
    • Like Like x 1
  5. one can only imagine the conversation between those five old boys as they sit in the pub after that photo was taken.
  6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

pints sir ... faasounds of 'em.
    • Like Like x 12
  7. I'm fascinated by that photo! I can't stop looking at it, look at the eyes on those men..they are the eyes of men who have seen things!! the man second right has invented the thousand yard stare. could he be troppers great grandad?
  8. Not enough VCs on his chest, let alone lesser medals...
  9. Could they have handled the stress of BAOR during the cold war? I somehow doubt it.
  10. It was hell man!! you really had to be there.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you didn't need chest bling in those days medals just meant you were related to the queen like charles.
  12. Any idea what year it was taken? Looks maybe 1920s-ish.
  13. I don't think its a thousand yard stare, I think its a surprised look as the chap on the right is holding his hand.
    • Like Like x 1