old timers

Just come across this photo of a load of hard bastards, The last surviving members of Rourkes Drift, CSM Bourne centre standing, I wouldn't have looked at their pints.

Apparently, there were more than a few survivors of that episode that had some serious PTSD issues of consequence. Nothing new under the sun, eh?

Colour Sergeant Bourne was eventually commissioned. My Gandfather met him at the Brecon depot in 1914. Of the others, Hook (who was a good soldier) became a sergeant, Hitch (who was not) vanished. One of the Williams was drowned in the R Dore and is buried in (I think) Dorstone churchyard. I've seen the grave but was dying for a pint at the time....

one can only imagine the conversation between those five old boys as they sit in the pub after that photo was taken.

I'm fascinated by that photo! I can't stop looking at it, look at the eyes on those men..they are the eyes of men who have seen things!! the man second right has invented the thousand yard stare. could he be troppers great grandad?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
you didn't need chest bling in those days medals just meant you were related to the queen like charles.

Just come across this photo of a load of hard bastards, The last surviving members of Rourkes Drift, CSM Bourne centre standing, I wouldn't have looked at their pints.
Any idea what year it was taken? Looks maybe 1920s-ish.

I'm fascinated by that photo! I can't stop looking at it, look at the eyes on those men..they are the eyes of men who have seen things!! the man second right has invented the thousand yard stare. could he be troppers great grandad?
I don't think its a thousand yard stare, I think its a surprised look as the chap on the right is holding his hand.

And you know, they probably thought it was all in a days work.

I am always astounded to read of the deeds of the British Army. Ordinary men doing incredible things.

The last stand at Gundamuck, the starving, cold remnants of the 44th huddled together, Souter with the colours wrapped around himself.

Where did we get such men from?

Just to play devils advocate here, brave men yes,they literally fought like rats in a trap,because that's what they were at the time, men fighting for their lives. wouldn't any men who found their selves in that situation done the same?

And you know, they probably thought it was all in a days work.

I am always astounded to read of the deeds of the British Army. Ordinary men doing incredible things.

The last stand at Gundamuck, the starving, cold remnants of the 44th huddled together, Souter with the colours wrapped around himself.

Where did we get such men from?
I have read contemporary reports from the Peninsula War on lads having amputations without anaesthetic and barely uttering a sound as "it wasn't the done thing" Where did we get them or how did we make them?

Moyle Sherer, 34th Regt of Foot, is a good read on what those guys endured.

Obviously not in the same league as BAOR Cold War service!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Army Pay, Claims & JPA 1
woopert The Intelligence Cell 0
R The Intelligence Cell 0