old timer trying to get fit again

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by planet, Sep 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi u blokes, am new to this, been locked away in civvy hell for 25yrs!!
    ok when i left the mob back in 88 i was very fit....now i weigh 25stone and have had enougth!!
    what i need is an idea on how to lose my bulk and get back to being able to complete what was the old bft,
    iam 6ft5 45yrs old non smoker and for my sins a truckie( not bad for someone who ran rings around the argies in the falklands),
    any help would be greatfully receievd and i would then be able to stay out of the brown stuff a bit longer!!!

2. Cow

Cow LE

Go see your doctor. Full checkout before you start just in case, they'll be more than happy to check you out. Diet ideas, low impact training, targets to hit... The list is endless! Just don't try too much too soon.

3. You'll need to lose weight before you start any serious exercise. That means dieting hard. See your GP. Do some walking and light cycling to get started.

I'm 16st and I managed to fck myself up by starting running in the wrong shoes and overdoing it.

see:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=60264.html

and don't repeat my mistakes!

Good luck!

4. I don't agree with that! At least not my perception of what you put.

As above, get acheck up before you take on a new exercise regime.

Stick with low impact stuff like swimming and cycling for a few months, build up your fitness and strength (particularily tendon and ligament strength). Consider some weight training too, a great way to increase your calorie expenditure and boost your metabolism.

Posting your diet could be useful, though I'm new on this board so I don't know if there's many with experience/knowledge to critique it?

PM me if you'd like some reading material.

5. cheers chaps, was expecting a beasting as its simple when you think about it!!!!
    been out for so long now forgotten how to do training, will follow up on info asap!!!

6. msr

msr LE

7. im a young one (not quite 18) but i train in several martial arts, and train with national judo guy, mma fighters, ex-military the lot.

get checked out. make sure you've got two of everything and the both work (except fingers or toes or nose or things like that).

then, find a sport or something you enjoy (obviously something physical.)

there is few motivators better then passion. if you want to do it, you will stick to a long term plan better.

don't actually go on a diet before. try to cut out junk to a certain extent, but dont eat rabbit food. the problem with diets is that its temporary. unless you plan to stick to it for the rest of your life, you'll pile on the weight once you stop dieting.

burning off the calories is better. do the sport you enjoy as often as you can manage. also consider having another mini hobby, for a bored hour.

personally, if im at a loss of what to do, i go outside and spend an hour on the punch bag or with a freestanding speedball.
    get the second for about 20 quid from argos. doing that is not too knackering. you could do it 6 days a week no problem. if you burn 100 calories in 1/2 an hour 6 days a week, thats 600 calories a week on top of any other exercise.

also, its all exercise.

if you are active you will have a faster metabolism, so will gain weight less easily.

at the same time, i suggst this:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

thats a good site for new runners, just have a read around.

good luck.

chris

8. I would say see your doctor or a friendly MO, then set a few modest targets for now with maybe a bigger goal as a target to aim for.....publish it on Arrse maybe even ask for some sponsorship for a special event.......maybe a fun run for a favorite charity...something to aim for. don't ever think that because you aren't serving any more that you are doing it on your own. We as a military community serving and ex serving as a brother/sisterhood will always try to support and provide advice and encouragement. There is a phrase "once your are in, your are in" it will not go away. I wish you all the luck I can and hope that others will join and give you a positive advise and encouraging response.

PogS

9. "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself. "

Sorry mate, coudn't resist that. I'm half-cut at the moment, but may check in later with some useful-ish advice.

10. My how time flies, is it 2013 already?

11. Me too, (16 stone) I have always been a big boy. Never played rugby, too sensible.
    It's all in the attitude. not too shabby at a good long jog though. (subtle link to charity page). http://www.justgiving.com/civvygit

12. A usefull link that Royal get that man a nutty bar :wink:

13. You have already taken the first major step, and that is admitting that you've had enough and want to get fit again for yourself.

Over the last year I have lost 28lbs and still got about another 18lbs to go before I am happy. I have been training at least 4-6 days a week. It has been hard sometimes, but I have followed a good eating plan - my prob was portion size and lack of exercise as opposed to eating junk foods. Also, because its been gradual I know I will keep the weight off.

I still eat the nice naughty things sometimes and have a few beers but I now know that it won't hurt me. I didn't diet just changed my habits. You can do it if your really serious and I am sure there will be plenty of support from all on here. The best advice I could give you is don't make it feel like a chore it should be fun and hard work, make sure you still enjoy the food your eating and that you want to do the exercises you choose. Good luck.

14. No worries dude!

Which one :?: