Old Tank at Catterick FIBUA village?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bensonby, Sep 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the Whinny Hill FIBUA village at Catterick I have a vague recollection of an old tank, somewhere about HERE in the training area.

I may be completely fantasising but for some strange reason I have an abiding memory of it being a T34/76.....I disregarded it because the concept seems completely impossible (there are hardly any surviving anywhere - let alone in the UK). But I still have this niggling feeling that thats what it was.

Absurd I know, but can anyone shed any light?

2. I thought there was a chieftan/challenger at the main entrance to Whinny Hill, atleast, there was last year when i was there last.

W-60

3. I didn't mean at the entrance, its in front of one of the buildings..... near that bit with all the rubble and knocked down buildnigs.

4. ISTR throwing molatov cocktails at a ferret or something in the area of the railway lines on your map, there were some other vehicles too

5. when throwing molotovs at the ferret it is about 20-30 yards behind you IIRC...

i could just be making this up....why would a russian tank be in a yorkshire FIBUA village?

6. If anyone knows of this, maybe a couple of photos posted here would be useful?

Come to think of it, if anyone knows of any AFVs out on local Trg Areas a record here on ARRSE could be useful for places like the Tank Museum and the IWM...

7. I'm sure its a T-55 not a T-34, but why would you think T-34s are rare I thought it was a very common tank.

8. Actually, I know what you mean and I have a photo of it from a CCRF ex 2 years ago with the blue light services.

I'll post it up when I get home! (At work at the moment)

W-60

9. There's a Sherman in the West Down impact area on Salisbury Plain. You can see it from OP13, marked on 1:25000 as either tank hulk P in grid square 0551, or AL in grid square 0651.

10. Not been that close to it! :D Doesn't look too bad through binos though.

11. Correction it is a T-34 I've just found a photo of it. You were correct.

12. T34s are very common - but only the 85 variant. the 76 varient is extremely rare.

13. Really?! can we see the pic?

14. Don't know much about T-34 variants, shame on me

Attached Files: