Old TA Regiments - Does it have a worth

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Jan 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I joined the TA, I gained the same collar dogs and coy title as my great grandfathers Bn. I have a bit/great pride in this.

Looking a little further the next generation tried to do the same but ended up in random arty units.

I'm now Sigs with many from my initial Coy.

My family has gone from joining Inf, Arty, (miss one generation) and then Sigs but all joined up in a similar place. Is this a mockery of the regimental system or does that only apply to regulars. I believe 3 out 4 last polar generations tried to join the same regiment but we have no continuity.

Maybe we could recruit more if our fathers regiment existed for longer periods
  2. I'd love to wear some of my Great-Grandad's medals but Iron Crosses and the like have such a negative connotations these days. PC gawn mad.
  3. The old Yorks Vols actually had a soldier who asked if he could wear his Grandads Iron Cross (think he'd been a POW medic).

Back to my original point. My own sense of Regiment is very perverted, I think the TA has a regimental pride but it doesn't show itself in the regular army format. I've read a lot about - strangely enough - West Yorkshire and North Midland territorial units (wonder where my user name comes from?) and many family names keep repeating themselves.

What is rather odd is that different branches of my family all have same territorial tradition with only one family member since 1800 being full time and a huge amount of Territorials (inc wife's family).
  4. msr

msr LE

Well, if it is any consolation, the regiment I joined in 1989 (2 Wessex) has gone.

It's called change and quite frankly you have 2 choices:

1) Fire up the whinge-o-tron, or

2) Make the most of it and ensure that the guys you have the privilege to command get your best to ensure they get maximum benefit out of it.

5. For what it's worth, I remain proud to be in the TA (or Army Reserve - whatever it's called these days) as an organisation - not bothered about the titles.

Within ten years, we could all be part of some amorphous mass of faceless IR training units anyway.
  6. I'm not so sure these are exclusive choices?
  7. Depends on Coys(/units) you've been in. When I was in the 'Leeds Rifles' we had very strong links with the City and meeting the old boys from the variety of the associations really gave extra meaning to remembrance weekends.

Also been in another 'Rifles' unit but they'd lost the links with the city and the 'Rifles' association. I suppose they didn't have strong links with their city or the 'Rifles' association, the Coy title was just that. We wore the badge but had no strong link with the past (oddly as I write this I've just been invited to this units facebook group).

Of the two Signals units I've been in, again its the Leeds unit that has strong links with the past. The other could be said to be just a number with no history (note: This Sqn does contain many members or relations from the 2nd 'Rifles' unit I've mentioned).

I think we have regiments but like I said we follow a different pattern, in my last sentence we are obviously acting like a regiment but we are changing corps and have been under constant attack to destroy our 'regiment'. Another corps has nicked our regiment title, yet we contain the historic/family ties.
  8. msr

msr LE

So, what are you doing for your blokes?

9. I'm not sure if I understand how or why?
  10. Not sure what you mean in this context, I've seen a 'territorial regimental' aspect to recruiting and retention.

Its not the same over the entire TA, London and Scotland TA units maybe pride for former TA regt or regular regiment is strong, but not in most cases elsewhere.