Old Sweat.

During my training as a tank driver/mechanic we had to do a ten mile route march in full FSMO once a week. March a mile, double a mile. When we asked why as tank men we had to do route marches we were told "Supposing your tank was broken down ten miles behind enemy lines there is only one way back and that is why you are being trained to use your feet"
No helicopters in those days to come in and get you out.

During my training as a tank driver/mechanic we had to do a ten mile route march in full FSMO once a week. March a mile, double a mile. When we asked why as tank men we had to do route marches we were told "Supposing your tank was broken down ten miles behind enemy lines there is only one way back and that is why you are being trained to use your feet"
No helicopters in those days to come in and get you out.
They had a good point though really.

endure

GCM
Nice dit but at least one other poor chap has you beat for the "Wasn't my fault Sarge, there was this dog see.."
View attachment 394503
Actually I'm still trying to think how that could have rolled on a straight piece of road, the tyres didn't blow, the chains are still intact, and it's a small village so they wouldn't have been hitting the governers at 32m.p.h. Notice the tyre kicker at the front, he's thinking how am I going to explain this away!

There's more wheels there than the Tour de France!

I took part in the Victory parade in Trieste driving a Churchill bridge layer. Driving back to camp at Prosecco I clipped the side of a house and had a grand piano crash down onto the bridge.
Which unit were you with - wasn't 25th Armoured Bde RE by any chance was it?

Latest Threads