Old Sweat.

Ask your regimental Secretary to check. Easy enough for them to find out if there are any other Association members left who served with the 4th.

I plan to be the last 15/19H but I have to outlive at least another 1,000 yet.
Yerse. Reg Re union last weekend. 50th Anniversary of Amalgamation of Elephant's Arse with Shiny Tenth.Good turnout, 18 Members recorded as having marched off parade.
Heading into last man standing territory. Raised a glass to every man jack. And then some.

Yerse. Reg Re union last weekend. 50th Anniversary of Amalgamation of Elephant's Arse with Shiny Tenth.Good turnout, 18 Members recorded as having marched off parade.
Heading into last man standing territory. Raised a glass to every man jack. And then some.

I like the names Elephant,s Arse and the Shiny Tenth. Our mob were known as the Donkey Wallopers.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I like the names Elephant,s Arse and the Shiny Tenth. Our mob were known as the Donkey Wallopers.
Generic term for cavalry from lesser beings.

Edit. GMF records that Flashman was 11th. He also posits that Shiny Tenth was their polite nickname. The pejorative term was Tinny Tenth.

Pejorative. Moi!
Herrumph!

I took part in the Victory parade in Trieste driving a Churchill bridge layer. Driving back to camp at Prosecco I clipped the side of a house and had a grand piano crash down onto the bridge.
Nice dit but at least one other poor chap has you beat for the "Wasn't my fault Sarge, there was this dog see.."
1558601013720.png

Actually I'm still trying to think how that could have rolled on a straight piece of road, the tyres didn't blow, the chains are still intact, and it's a small village so they wouldn't have been hitting the governers at 32m.p.h. Notice the tyre kicker at the front, he's thinking how am I going to explain this away!

Nice dit but at least one other poor chap has you beat for the "Wasn't my fault Sarge, there was this dog see.."
View attachment 394500
Actually I'm still trying to think how that could have rolled on a straight piece of road, the tyres didn't blow, the chains are still
intact, and it's a small village so they wouldn't have been hitting the governers at 32m.p.h.
@brownhat had a pic of a C Sqn Cent taking up a similar hull down position.

What excuse did you or your mates give if hauled before the SL on a charge for fighting in the town. Our was "They were running the regiment down sir" Nine times out of ten it was good enough.
.By the way did you have any VIP serve in your regiment? We had the great man himself Winston Churchill. He was a two pipper in S Africa before 'buying' himself out to be a newspaper reporter.

View attachment 394503
Actually I'm still trying to think how that could have rolled on a straight piece of road, the tyres didn't blow, the chains are still intact, and it's a small village so they wouldn't have been hitting the governers at 32m.p.h. Notice the tyre kicker at the front, he's thinking how am I going to explain this away!
That tank is apparently the last Centurion to fire its main gun in the British Army. The 'fall' doesn't seem to have done it much harm:
Preserved Tanks .Com | Tank Profile

This Mark 13 started life as a Mark 8. It was then up-gunned and up-armoured into a Mark 10 before being finally converted into a Mark 13 by the addition of the ranging machine gun and infrared vision equipment. It was the last Centurion gun tank to fire its main gun in the British Army. (source: Museum Vehicle Record).

This Centurion served in BAOR with 9/12 Royal Lancers and 1RTR before being moved to 17 BVD in June 1970, then on to CVD Ludgershall in August 1970. In October 1970 it was at 38 Central Workshops REME before returning to Ludgershall in February 1971. From February 1972 it served with the RAC Centre Gunnery School at Lulworth, before being discharged from service through QM Bovington in March 1975 “being manned by 3RTR” and then being ‘issued’ to the Museum. (Source: Record Cards).

This was the last Centurion in service with the Royal Tank Regiment. It had its last firing on Lulworth Range on 22 July 1974. In January 1986 it was involved in Simfire trials at Bovington. It was on display in the Tamiya Hall as recently as 2006.

Amazing, but how on earth did you connect the 1st Cent plate number and corralate it to your image ?

Amazing, but how on earth did you connect the 1st Cent plate number and corralate it to your image ?
Did a search on 04CC87 as it rang bells

Generic term for cavalry from lesser beings.

Edit. GMF records that Flashman was 11th. He also posits that Shiny Tenth was their polite nickname. The pejorative term was Tinny Tenth.
Reminds me of the question on University Challenge some years back:
Paxman: “Bob’s Own, the Lillywhites and the Cherrybums are nicknames for which groups?”
Contestant: “Gay men?”
Paxman (raising one eyebrow) when other team do not offer an answer: “Regiments of the British Army.”

AT Prosecco. Don,t know if I have spelt it right but it was a village to the north of Trieste. I believe it is now connected to Trieste by a funicular railway.

Reminds me of the question on University Challenge some years back:
Paxman: “Bob’s Own, the Lillywhites and the Cherrybums are nicknames for which groups?”
Contestant: “Gay men?”
Paxman (raising one eyebrow) when other team do not offer an answer: “Regiments of the British Army.”
...and that reminds me of a time on leave when I visited a girlfriend in London who decided to stop in at her parents, she had warned me that her dad was a bit of a Brainiac and might try and put me down (as if). We were sitting in the living room having a cup of tea when University Challenge came on. I was on a roll, rattling off correct answer after correct answer, the girlfriend was in awe, her dad was stunned, later I bonked his daughter, and that was after I told her that I had watched the same program the day before with MY mum & dad. Timing is everything apparently!

Are Sergeant Majors as 'Sarky' as they were in my day?
SSM "You and me could be mistaken for twins but for one thing" "What,s that Sir?"
SSM "I,ve had a haircut"

SSM. "Do you use a mirror when you shave?" "Yes Sir"
SSM "Then try a razor next time it,s sharper"

2nd Lt "Excuse me SM but am I sat in your chair?"
SSM "That,s OK Sir, I usually stand on the table to write"

SSM "Have you ever seen the Mongolian changing of the guard?" "No Sir".
SSM "Then go to the barbers tent, sit in the chair and look in the mirror"
Sgt Mather, 3 RTR told me I marched like a stagnant pond. Which I found rather rude.

Possibly, but if I'd wanted to do synchronised walking I'd have gone as an infanteer.

Latest Threads