Old Sweat.

Any oldies from my time out there? I served in the army from 1944 to 1952. Trained in the RAC as a Churchill tank driver mechanic. Later served in Malaya as Daimler Armoured Car driver.

ugly

LE
Welcome aboard, what regiment did you serve with?

In February 1945 I joined HQ Sqn of the 7th Armoured Brigade near Trieste Italy, When they disbanded I was posted to HQ Sqn of the 2nd Armoured Brigade In Tradisca. North Italy then to Qassasin, Egypt. They disbanded then I was posted to A Sqn $th Hussar who were then at Colchester. Three years in Malaya and then demob. but five years with the Wilts Yeomanry. as a 'week end' soldier where I was a Comet tank driver.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
There used to be a guy on here from your time called himself Barce Bandit, later Benghazi Bandit. I'll PM you his real name. If it rings a bell, I'll send a Facebook link. He's in the 15/19H group as a friend. I think he was in the Bays.

Bit before my time. The 11th Hussars were in Malaya with Daimlers mid 50's.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Welcome and I am happy to help pay your pension. You earned it :)

4th Hussars amalgamated with 8th Hussars to be Queens Royal Irish Hussars.
Who in turn amalgamated with the Queens Own Hussars in 1993 to form the Queens Royal Hussars. As former QOH and QRH, welcome!

I am a member of the QRH vets and get e mails. I don,t think there are many 4th left as the "Empty Saddles" part has had none named lately. Could I be the only one? I am almost 92 but I still have my AB64 Pt one, My cap badge and medals.

I notice your reference to Trieste. My old man, now departed served there and found the British Element Force association to be great fun. He caught up with several old comrades and enjoyed their reunions. Their details are here

BETFOR Association, British Element Trieste Force, The Official Website

and I'm sure they'd welcome you

I took part in the Victory parade in Trieste driving a Churchill bridge layer. Driving back to camp at Prosecco I clipped the side of a house and had a grand piano crash down onto the bridge.

I took part in the Victory parade in Trieste driving a Churchill bridge layer. Driving back to camp at Prosecco I clipped the side of a house and had a grand piano crash down onto the bridge.
Cracking story!

I can imagine it now "Sarn't Major"
"Sah"
"Do you know there's a piano on that bridge?"
"No, Sah, but you 'um it and I'll pick up the rhythm!"

[With apologies to Mr Shifta of PG Tips fame]

I am a member of the QRH vets and get e mails. I don,t think there are many 4th left as the "Empty Saddles" part has had none named lately. Could I be the only one? I am almost 92 but I still have my AB64 Pt one, My cap badge and medals.
Ah, OK. I haven’t looked at the “empty saddles” for a while. You may be the only one left, phone RHQ!

Any oldies from my time out there? I served in the army from 1944 to 1952. Trained in the RAC as a Churchill tank driver mechanic. Later served in Malaya as Daimler Armoured Car driver.
Welcome aboard.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ask your regimental Secretary to check. Easy enough for them to find out if there are any other Association members left who served with the 4th.

I plan to be the last 15/19H but I have to outlive at least another 1,000 yet.

Ask your regimental Secretary to check. Easy enough for them to find out if there are any other Association members left who served with the 4th.

I plan to be the last 15/19H but I have to outlive at least another 1,000 yet.
It’s a target. To give yourself a fighting chance, cut down on the women, booze and fags. You might cut that down a bit - mebbe 1?

In February 1945 I joined HQ Sqn of the 7th Armoured Brigade near Trieste Italy, When they disbanded I was posted to HQ Sqn of the 2nd Armoured Brigade In Tradisca. North Italy then to Qassasin, Egypt. They disbanded then I was posted to A Sqn $th Hussar who were then at Colchester. Three years in Malaya and then demob. but five years with the Wilts Yeomanry. as a 'week end' soldier where I was a Comet tank driver.
Welcome Trooper, my lot were in 7th Armoured in Italy (not me I'm a sprog) 2RTR. Keep going brother you need to get that Telegram from Her Maj.

Are Sergeant Majors as 'Sarky' as they were in my day?
SSM "You and me could be mistaken for twins but for one thing" "What,s that Sir?"
SSM "I,ve had a haircut"

SSM. "Do you use a mirror when you shave?" "Yes Sir"
SSM "Then try a razor next time it,s sharper"

2nd Lt "Excuse me SM but am I sat in your chair?"
SSM "That,s OK Sir, I usually stand on the table to write"

SSM "Have you ever seen the Mongolian changing of the guard?" "No Sir".
SSM "Then go to the barbers tent, sit in the chair and look in the mirror"

Latest Threads