Old Sweat - Qualifying Criteria?

When you joined Centurion was a rank and not a tank.
Or when we didn't have numbers because we all knew each other. Or when the Dead Sea was still going sick.

Or when we didn't have numbers because we all knew each other. Or when the Dead Sea was still going sick.
Or when the POL point was a haystack!

Or when you can remember this:

"Roman legionaries, from the right, number!"
"I", "II", "III", "IV", "V" ------------------------------------------------------------------->"LXXX, last man, Centurion!"

:)

Originally I posted this on the Albert Hall thread:
When you do a double-take on learning the Senior Director of Music, Household Division, is called Darren.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I remember listening to Gen Sir Brian Horrocks, Corps commander WW2 on TV telling of his visit to his sister, it was near the 11th of November. While there he decided to visit the small Market Town Remembrance Service of a few bods and the vicar. The General was unknown in the town. Afterwards the small contingent marched through the little town. The young Sergeant Major in charge of the parade shouted out twice "Would someone get that grey headed old bastard into step." Horrocks said, that that was the day that he first felt really old!

I remember listening to Gen Sir Brian Horrocks, Corps commander WW2 on TV telling of his visit to his sister, it was near the 11th of November. While there he decided to visit the small Market Town Remembrance Service of a few bods and the vicar. The General was unknown in the town. Afterwards the small contingent marched through the little town. The young Sergeant Major in charge of the parade shouted out twice "Would someone get that grey headed old bastard into step." Horrocks said, that that was the day that he first felt really old!
I can just imagine that. "FFS you old cnut. Left, right left. Not Right, left, right. Who the fcuk are you anyway?"

"I am General Sir Brian Horrocks. You may have heard of me. More to the point, who the fcuk are you, and what is your Commanding Officer's name?" :)

Tried that one a while back. Got blank looks from some lads who had never heard of a Centurion tank.

So amend to read: "when you're still using the centurion/rank/tank joke and none of your audience understands"...:(

Yep, happened to me last week, used the expression Noggins for Norwegians, blank looks, had to explain who Noggin the Nog was.

"In the lands of the North, where the Black Rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long the Men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale … and those tales they tell are the stories of a kind and wise king and his people; they are the Sagas of Noggin the Nog"

Last edited:
Yep, happened to me last week, used the expression Noggins for Norwegians, blank looks, had to explain who Noggin the Nog was.

"In the Lands of the North, where the black rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long, the men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale"
There was me thinking it was rhyming slang

"In the lands of the North, where the Black Rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long the Men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale … and those tales they tell are the stories of a kind and wise king and his people; they are the Sagas of Noggin the Nog"

The theme music was a bassoon score which coupled with the opening lines I found dark and threatening, unusual for a childrens program.
Never forgotten.

Or when the POL point was a haystack!

Or when you can remember this:

"Roman legionaries, from the right, number!"
"I", "II", "III", "IV", "V" ------------------------------------------------------------------->"LXXX, last man, Centurion!"

:)
"VIP"
You orrible little man I suppose you think thats funny. March him to the guardroom. Quick march, sinister dexter, sinister dexter.

Or would that be sin de, sin de for a quick march?

The 1st thing is: Upon arrival at your 1st unit spending months trying to get your brand spanking NEW coveralls dirty so that you don't stand out as a 'NIG' only to realise that the 'Old Sweats' actually wear clean covvies and feel comfortable about it and so you too change to clean ones and no one bitches at you.

The 2nd thing is getting the 'nod' from a real Old Sweat as being an OK guy. I will never forget the day we were all in the Troop office when the Staffy asked for a volunteer crew to go haul out a dead Chieftain from an obscure forest. 'Ray, the oldest and most revered sweat in the Squadron piped up and said "Me and Spanky will go, we're the best team in here", from that day and after the recovery my life changed and I was treated with respect by the other Old Sweats. Thanks Ray.

Last edited:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The 1st thing is: Upon arrival at your 1st unit spending months trying to get your brand spanking NEW coveralls dirty so that you don't stand out as a 'NIG' only to realise that the 'Old Sweats' actually wear clean covvies and feel comfortable about it and so you too change to clean ones and no one bitches at you.

The 2nd thing is getting the 'nod' from a real Old Sweat as being an OK guy. I will never forget the day we were all in the Troop office when the Staffy asked for a volunteer crew to go haul out a dead Chieftain from an obscure forest. 'Ray, the oldest and most revered sweat in the Squadron piped up and said "Me and Spanky will go, we're the best team in here", from that day and after the recovery my life changed and I was treated with respect by the other Old Sweats. Thanks Ray.
In my Bn it was when an old sweat referred to you by nickname and followed by defining you to others as 'genuine'.

When now-serving generals were not even born when I entered the Marines.

When people who have asked you how long you’ve done, reply “Jesus fxcking Christ “, not expecting it to have been “that long”

Have I said this before?

When I turned up, the other bloke went on leave.

Indeed. I fully expected the lobster to say something.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wellyhead Films, Music and All Things Artsy 5
P The Intelligence Cell 2
E Gunners 3