Old Sweat - Qualifying Criteria?

To paraphrase Baldrick:

'The thing is: The way I see it, these days he's an old sweat, right? And, ages ago, he wasn't an old sweat, right? So, there must have been a moment when him not being an old sweat went away, right? And him being an old sweat came along. So, what I want to know is: How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of affairs?

Back in my day is was easy to spot an old sweat as the had two tone, bleached lightweights, yellow fingers, yellow tash and shiny boot eyelets.

What defines an old sweat nowadays? Time served? Op tours? Rank held? E&D champion?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
When the new recruit was born the year you joined :(

="postman_twit, post: 8745390, member: 26100"]...two tone, bleached lightweights
And a razor-skimmed, sun-bleached KF shirt, of course (an effect usually obtained by folding carefully and laying on the back shelf of ones' car).

when your doing one of them TEWTs (which you've done twice already so you know exactly where the AT/MG/reserve is to go but don't get it perfect cos it will attract someone interest) and your OC says "Staff, how long have you been in now", you reply "including boys service 22 years Sir". OC looks at latest 2Lt and says "Mr Smith how old are you?" Mr Smith replies "21 Sir".

When passing comment to a CSM that you remember working with him and he says “No Sir, that was my Dad”

When you discover ARRSE, and spend hours slagging each other off, rubbishing our lords and masters, passing comments on the mundane and inconsequential, and answering questions, that you heard asked 40+ years ago, asked by your mates in basic.

When your number starts with 23. What news of Mafeking ??

When you discover ARRSE, and spend hours slagging each other off, rubbishing our lords and masters, passing comments on the mundane and inconsequential, and answering questions, that you heard asked 40+ years ago, asked by your mates in basic.
Add the possibility that the mucker that asked has now been gone X years and is pushing up daisies - that's when you realise you're old AND lucky. There's a sobering thought to raise a pint to.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
When there wasn't a junior Brecon. Or a senior one, come to that and all promotions (up to and including Sgt) were at the choice and discretion of your C.O.
And your number started 23..........
When there were no lightweights or dpm but working dress was a set of ill matched and even worse fitting denims. Worn with a shirt ( hairy) and a tie made out of old cam net scrim. And that was also worn with combat dress( Green, shiny and very thick) and battledress ( extremely hairy) Oh, and boots ( ammo)

@AlienFTM That's a point, where is Jarrod? The Snail is apparently being put back together again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wellyhead Films, Music and All Things Artsy 5
P The Intelligence Cell 2
E Gunners 3